ArcGIS Pro single use license for multiple Windows users

08-23-2022 11:30 AM
ChristinaHoddinott1
Occasional Contributor

Hello! I'm hoping someone might be able to help me troubleshoot a licensing problem.

Firstly, we have an educational site license. 

The issue I'm having is this: I have installed ArcGIS Pro on several computers in a class lab. I have licensed the software with a single-use license on each computer, but if any other user but myself tries to open the software, it says it is not licensed. I have also tried a concurrent license with the same issue. We do not have named user licenses available to us. 

Any idea what the issue is and how to fix/work around it?

Tags (2)
4 Replies
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Something is missing.  If you authorize a Single Use license on a machine, any user on the machine should be able to start Pro using the Single Use license.  Can you provide a screen shot or the error after attempting to start with another user?

0 Kudos
mody_buchbinder
Occasional Contributor III

The Pro license is per user and not for a machine.

In the registry the ArcMap license information is written into LOCAL_MACHINE while Pro license information is written into CURRENT_USER.

I think each user will have to set the license once to be written to his own registry.

Have Fun

Mody

0 Kudos
ChristinaHoddinott1
Occasional Contributor

Well, I suppose I got it figured out. I deleted the program, reinstalled, and licensed it. For reasons that I do not understand, it prompts AGOL login when opening the program and the user logging in has to have an ArcGIS Professional Advanced user type (or is it role?) for it to work. This makes no sense to me because a single use license should not require an AGOL account (right?) and it should work across users, but hey, it's functioning well enough for now.

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

By default, Pro will start with the AGOL Named User licensing type.  If you're a new user, it will start there.  When you proceed to configure it for Single Use and start Pro using the Single Use license type.  Then next time you start Pro, it will start in Single Use mode.  Pro will start with the licensing type used when it last closed.  Each user will have his/her own profile.  User A can start Pro with Named User type while user B may start Pro with Single Use.  In your case, you installed Pro and authorized it with Single Use license.  Pro starts using the Single Use license.  Another user logs into the system.  If that person starts Pro for the first time, Pro will start with the default AGOL Named User type.  Click on the "Configure Licensing" option at the bottom of the dialogue.  In the Configure Authorization dialogue, choose the Single Use License option in the drop down menu for License Type.  It should display the authorized Single Use licenses.  Click OK to start Pro.  The next time the user starts Pro, it will start in Single Use mode.  

You can have Pro start in Single Use mode by default, if that is what you want.  You can install ArcGIS Pro silently.  This is documented in 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/arcgis-pro-installation-administration.htm

The following example is listed under the "Single Use license command line" section:

Per machine install:  msiexec.exe /i <Path to msi> /qb ALLUSERS=1 SOFTWARE_CLASS=PROFESSIONAL AUTHORIZATION_TYPE=SINGLE_USE

Per user install:  msiexec.exe /i <Path to msi> /qb ALLUSERS=2 SOFTWARE_CLASS=PROFESSIONAL AUTHORIZATION_TYPE=SINGLE_USE

0 Kudos