Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Please use my RAM and CPU.

Jump to solution
02-14-2017 12:24 PM
JohnBrockwell
Frequent Contributor

I have a new workstation that has 128 GB of RAM and 12 core Intel Xeon CPU. I am trying to run geoprocessing task using ArcGIS Pro 1.4. ArcGIS Pro is not consuming any RAM (7GB) and the CPU usage is non existent.

OS is Windows 7 SP1

What can I do to get ArcGIS Pro 1.4 to utilize my hardware?

18 Replies
GabrielMarcus
Occasional Contributor

Actually 200% isn't impossible, according to the help files, but it isn't what I meant to say. I put 100% in the Parallel Processing Factor field. 

Doing the same task in ArcGIS Pro takes less time, because I think it uses parallel processing better. 

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell
Frequent Contributor

I'd be interested in seeing the help files. Do you have a link you could share? Parallel Processing depends on the geoprocessing tool. It really is a tool by tool decision as some tools can't utilize parallel processing.

You may have to use a 100% but your CPU will still have to allocate resources to the Operating System. Hence, you can't use 100% of the CPU.

Good Discussion. I'd like to start a list of tools that can use Parallel Processing. Please let me know what geoprocessing tools you have used.

0 Kudos
Karyn_Kerdolff
Regular Contributor

There are a couple ground-level concepts that are useful to remember when it comes to multi-core/multi-thread processors.

First, as many have covered already, not all tasks can be run in parallel. If step 8 relies on the output of step 7, which in turn relies on step 6, throwing more cores at the task won't do anything to help it run faster. You can't run step 6 on one core, step 7 on another, and step 8 on a third (well, you probably could, but you'd still be waiting for step 6 before moving on to step 7). Writing truly parallel code can be rather tricky. 

Second, most high-end CPUs now support Symmetric Multi Threading, which takes advantage of CPU architecture wizardry to run two threads on one physical core (Anandtech has a great primer on how this works). Because of SMT, Windows sees a 4-core Intel i7 as actually having 8 cores. I don't have one in front of me (currently running a "lowly" i5 without SMT), but if memory serves these "extra cores" usually show up as the odd-numbered cores in Windows. Again, not all tasks are capable of taking advantage of SMT, so it is not surprising to often see all these cores not being used very heavily. I suspect this is what's happening in Gabriel Marcus' case.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Speaking of core parking, there is a registry setting you can change that will permanently unpark them......

JayJohnson6
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

No! Never use an "App" that manages core parking. They're all viruses. There's a registry change somewhere....

0 Kudos
JayJohnson6
Regular Contributor

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/intel-extreme-tuning-utility

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/amd-overdrive-utility-helps-you-overclock

Maybe these would be safer.

0 Kudos
JayJohnson6
Regular Contributor

Does this seem right?

https://shurikenskribbles.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/unparking-cpu-cores/

I can test it if you think it resembles your last try.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'll look for the registry URL, but my 2 cents is that every single "unpark cpu" app is a virus.....

0 Kudos