ArcGIS Pro performance issues with many maps and layouts?

Jump to solution
01-13-2022 12:04 PM
HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, I've been working in ArcGIS Pro for some time, and performance has been reasonable, but a project I'm working on has just ground to a halt (it is suddenly taking 10 minutes to do tasks that previously were taking a few seconds).  I have roughly 50 maps and 50 layouts within it.  Is that number of maps and layouts likely to cause a problem?

Are there any suggestions for improving performance, without needing to split this up into separate projects?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

lots here

Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro - Esri Community

For me 50 maps and layouts would be a bit much, but that is just me

Locally stored data (ie on your machine) is a huge asset but not possible for those that rely on networks or cloudy sources.

So have a look at Kory's suggestions

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

lots here

Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro - Esri Community

For me 50 maps and layouts would be a bit much, but that is just me

Locally stored data (ie on your machine) is a huge asset but not possible for those that rely on networks or cloudy sources.

So have a look at Kory's suggestions

... sort of retired...
PeterMacKenzie2
Occasional Contributor II
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In Kory;s as well

... sort of retired...
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

What version of Pro are you using? There were a lot of performance updates to ArcGIS Pro 2.8, if you are on a version previous to that updating might help. 

Cheers,
Aubri
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Helen, 

You may be interested in looking at the ArcGIS Pro Performance Assessment Tool (see  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/pro-performance-tool-overview.htmhttps://pro.ar...) and possibly working the support. They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Helen,

Whenever I have a Pro project that all of a sudden stops working or goes extraordinarily slow, it's usually related to one data layer causing the issues. For me, it's usually a huge CAD file (like 25+ MB) or a large file from a slow network connection (like a shared network drive that is taking too long to load). For whatever reasons, these two reasons have caused my projects to basically stop working or go so slow that it isn't even worth it.

I am not sure this helps or not but it could help single out one issue if you are seeing the same thing.

HelenCooper

Thanks @AdrianWelsh , I'd just brought in some soil and geology data and made a layout with 4 map frames, but none of it was huge... maybe one of the layers has a gremlin in there somewhere though!  I've brought that layout into a new project and it's certainly a lot happier. 

0 Kudos
HelenCooper

Thank you all for the very helpful suggestions - really appreciated.  I've just cleared the cache and it's certainly improved noticeably! (Thank you @PeterMacKenzie2  and @DanPatterson ).  I'm also exporting a layout to start a new project (this is taking a long time... hopefully it will be done soon!).  

I'm using locally stored data (on an SSD drive) so it's not that, and am already on version 2.8, but good suggestion @AubriKinghorn . 

I will run the ArcGIS Pro Performance Assessment Tool as soon as I'm clear of my current deadline (thank you @TomBole  - good suggestion!)  I'll also work through the other suggestions in the link that @DanPatterson provided. 

Thank you all, really appreciate the help!

0 Kudos