Jump to solution
06-29-2017 01:18 PM
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Hi there

Putting this out in the forum 

ArcGIS Pro 2.0

I am wanting to use the Service Area tool in ArcGIS Pro

The facilities data that I have on here is confidential and no data is able to be processed in published in to the cloud.

If I use this tool does the geoprocessing tool pass the facilities data to the cloud and then pass the results back.

or does the network data set get downloaded to the computer and processed that way?

Thanks

John P

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

From Esri Support

From what I understand about the way that the Network Analysis tools work- when you are in ArcGIS Pro and you run a Network Analysis tool, ArcGIS Pro reaches out to ArcGIS Online for those services, and brings them into Pro to be used with the data in question. None of the data in Pro will be brought into that Online environment or published publicly in any way unless the user chooses to publish the results in a separate workflow. So if working with sensitive data, there should be no issues running the Network Analysis tool. 

As noted in the documentation that I have included below- the network dataset that the service area output is based on, is hosted on the cloud. However, the sensitive data would not be uploaded to a public format or cloud in any way. 

Tutorial: Create service areas
http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/analysis/networks/service-area-tutorial.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_ABC7...

I did a basic test on my end and ran a Service Area Network Analysis and the output was saved as a feature layer in my local file geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro. No publishing of the output to my ArcGIS Online occurred, even though the service was hosted in the Online Cloud. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

remove www.arcgis.com from the portals list

Working offline... suggests if you are a named user and disconnected entirely from anything, with local data is what you want.

I see no reference anywhere about results being sent/uploaded to anywhere else other than what you specify, but that may be a tech support question

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Hi Dan

Thanks I thought that would be the case -

The alternative of course is to use a Streetmap Premium Dataset (or other such Network dataset) which is offline

Ill look to rasie a call with Esri Support

-Enjoy the Canada Day celebrations

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks kindly!

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

From Esri Support

From what I understand about the way that the Network Analysis tools work- when you are in ArcGIS Pro and you run a Network Analysis tool, ArcGIS Pro reaches out to ArcGIS Online for those services, and brings them into Pro to be used with the data in question. None of the data in Pro will be brought into that Online environment or published publicly in any way unless the user chooses to publish the results in a separate workflow. So if working with sensitive data, there should be no issues running the Network Analysis tool. 

As noted in the documentation that I have included below- the network dataset that the service area output is based on, is hosted on the cloud. However, the sensitive data would not be uploaded to a public format or cloud in any way. 

Tutorial: Create service areas
http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/analysis/networks/service-area-tutorial.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_ABC7...

I did a basic test on my end and ran a Service Area Network Analysis and the output was saved as a feature layer in my local file geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro. No publishing of the output to my ArcGIS Online occurred, even though the service was hosted in the Online Cloud.