Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Map File Not Opening

02-15-2024 10:55 AM
MARVINLEWIS
New Contributor

I am trying to open an ArcGIS Project File and I keep getting an error saying that the project file was saved using a newer version of ArcGIS Pro. Any ideas on how to restore this file? I tried to click restore previous versions but no previous versions were on the list for me to select. The attached image shows the error I keep getting.Project File Error.PNG

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

To open this aprx, you will need to reinstall the newest version of Pro or the version that was used to create the aprx. Once you do that, you can package the project. This will allow you to choose which "older" versions of Pro the aprx will be compatible with. Once you package the project, you can (if you wish/need to) uninstall the newer version of Pro and reinstall the version you were using prior to this process.

Perhaps you're working with an aprx that someone created. If that's the situation, you can ask that individual to package the project so it will be compatible with the older version of Pro you're currently using.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
MARVINLEWIS
New Contributor

The newest version of Pro is already installed and yet the project file will not open. So, I cannot even package the project if it isn't opening in the first place.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing to note, starting at ArcGIS Pro 3.0, the application was a breaking release.  Meaning if you installed ArcGIS Pro 3.0 or higher, save the project file (*.aprx), then any ArcGIS Pro 2.x client will not be able to open the *.aprx.  What release of ArcGIS Pro are you using to open the *.aprx?

0 Kudos
MARVINLEWIS
New Contributor

I am using the 3.2 version.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

This appears to be BUG-000118431 - "The following error is returned when opening an existing project: "Opening the selected ArcGIS project failed. This project was saved using a newer version of ArcGIS Pro:.". There is no version number listed" where a recent support case saw this behavior as well.  At this time, the Dev Team does not know what causes the error and are continuing the investigate.

Question(s):  how long is the *.aprx name?  Is the *.aprx stored on a network drive or local drive?

0 Kudos
MARVINLEWIS
New Contributor

Thanks. But, this is unfortunate because a lot of work was done on this project file. If I can't open it, I would have start everything over from scratch.

Name = ICGT Genebank.

Storage = Local Drive

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thx for the answers to my questions.  Try this.  Remove the blank space for your the *.aprx and try to reopen the project.  Generally...spaces wreck havoc in projects.

0 Kudos
MARVINLEWIS
New Contributor
I tried this and it didn't work
0 Kudos