ArcGIS Pro loses connection to mouse input

10-06-2021 12:41 PM
JenniferLink1
New Contributor III

Hello,

Has anyone had the experience where ArcGIS Pro suddenly loses the ability to receive input from the mouse? Occasionally, my ArcGIS Pro project will get into a mode where I need to shut it down using the task manager because any click event on the screen results in the last tool I used being activated despite where I am clicking. 

For example, I click the 'Select' tool on the Map ribbon, and select a polygon in the map. Then all subsequent clicks result in selecting that same polygon. When I click the 'x' to close the application, the polygon flashes as if it has been selected again. At this point, I need to close the application using the task manager.

I have the latest release, and this behaviour occurs across multiple .aprx files, so I don't think it is a corrupt file.

Thanks,

Jen

16 Replies
ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks @DanPatterson but alas...not the issue.  I do like "working too fast".  Have a possibly offensive analogy que'd up, but I'll skip it.  Ran into this again today.  SPECIFICS: Oh wait!  In the 5 minutes it took to log onto the forum and start typing, it went away.  I cannot remember the exact dialogue box that kept popping up every time I right or left clicked anywhere, but the gist is - the same dialogue box kept popping up no matter what I tried to do.  For instance, let's say the Properties box for a specific layer (not sure if "box" is the correct term) opened no matter if I clicked on Projects dropdown, or Symbology pane, or right clicked a layer in TOC.  Silver lining is, maybe wait a few minutes instead of restarting and Pro will catch up.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Off to tech support then since nothing else seems to be useful

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BryanNeely1
New Contributor II

same issue here.

occurs while logged in to remote desktop over vpn. i can still pan & zoom but palletes don't respond. have to close & restart pro (2.9.1).

0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

Exactly. I can ALT->TAB through maps, layouts, etc.  I can R-Click or 2X-click to get properties on TOC Items.  But I cannot toggle through the Export, Catalog, etc. panes.  No opening symbology properties or really doing anything.  Cannot close tabs like maps, layouts, attribute tables.  I just have to turn on / turn off.  This occurred on Windows 10 and now 11.  Also on 2.8 and 2.9.  Found any solutions @BryanNeely1 ?  I should also mention that I have a second project open in another...instance of ArcPro I guess.  That concurrently is functioning fine.  

0 Kudos
BryanNeely1
New Contributor II

Sorry. No solution. None of the suggestions worked. 

0 Kudos
Nick_Turner
New Contributor

I've been having this issue off and on and thought ArcGIS Pro was hung. After finally realizing that that the keyboard was working, today I tried a solution suggested to me by an Esri support agent as a workaround to a hung tool issue presumably caused by our organizational use of Webroot.

The workaround was to was to hover (or click, maybe) the mouse over blank space on the Windows Taskbar and press CTRL + V, then immediately CTRL + C. I've only tried today, so I can't speak to it working all the time.

If you try this solution, please let us know here in this thread if it worked.

0 Kudos
Galen_S_MnDOT
Occasional Contributor

I think I've been experiencing this issue sporadically with ArcPro 2.9.5 as well.  Non-specific trigger causes the app to completely ignore any and all left-clicks.  Right clicks still seem to register alright, as do keyboard hotkeys and shortcuts (including ctrl+s to save my APRX file, thank goodness).

Most recently I tried two different solutions, and ONE of them worked - I'm just not sure which.  First I tried use alt-key commands to execute a general interface command (insert new basemap, in my case).  Without thinking to first text if that actually worked (*facepalm*), I then grabbed the top of the ArcPro window and re-sized it to only partial screenfill (not full-screen).  Then I full-screened it again.

ONE of those two things worked.  Afterward, my left-click functionality had returned, and I was able to drag & drop one of my data tables to another part of the interface (which is what I was trying to do in the first place); no restarting ArcPro required.

Is anyone else experiencing this using remote PC software?  I thought it might be an issue with VMWare Horizon, but that doesn't seem likely since all my other open applications continued to respond to left mouse clicks as normal; ArcPro was the exception.

0 Kudos