ArcGIS Pro Locators Backwards Compatible in ArcMap

Jump to solution
03-29-2023 09:03 AM
Labels (2)
andrewdfahey
New Contributor II

I've been tasked with making a new locator for my locality's address data in ArcGIS Pro (2.9.5 for most in the organization, 3.1 for me) with one of the critical stipulations that it be backwards compatible to ArcMap (10.8.1). I have not been able to find any documentation regarding this specific aspect of locators being used across the two applications, but I can say that the locators I and my peers have made in Pro cannot be added at all to our ArcMap while older locators made in ArcMap are addable, viable, and function the same in both. 

My assumption is that the extra available features from Pro locators cannot work correctly in ArcMap, but I am curious if anyone has additional insight in what specific features stop the use of a Pro generated locator in ArcMap. Likewise, any possible workaround in making a Pro generated locator work in ArcMap would be appreciated, such as reworking our data schema, building a less complex locator in Pro, or even Python scripting to transform it for ArcMap.

If it comes down to it, my recommendation will be to just have new, separate locators for the two applications and strongly suggest people geocode in Pro since it will offer a more robust locator.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Mark,

Locators created with the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro will not work directly in ArcMap.  You can however use these locators in ArcMap if the locator is published to ArcGIS Enterprise and accessed through an connection to the server.

Locators created in ArcMap are not supported starting at Enterprise 11.0 and Pro 3.0.

If you decide to stay at Enterprise 10.9.1, some of the features for locators created in Pro 3.0 or newer may not work but the locators will still be compatible.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Here is a support article that is related to your experience.  https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000027452    Longish story short, the latest Pro locators are not backward compatible with ArcMap.

0 Kudos
andrewdfahey
New Contributor II

Hi Mark,

Thanks for finding this resource and the quick response. This brings up an interesting point I would value your input on.

We publish our geocoder as a service in our Enterprise Portal (10.9.X) to disseminate it to the larger organization. Currently, our locator is made in ArcMap (10.X) and we republish that on a daily cycle for any new addresses. The tech support article you just shared suggests that we may be in a catch 22 where Pro generated locators do not work in ArcMap, but ArcMap locators will not publish to Enterprise 11.X, meaning we have to stay in Enterprise 10.9.1 to retain access to both. Is this a correct interpretation? Could a service of a Pro generated locator be at all backwards compatible with ArcMap?

-Andrew

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Mark,

Locators created with the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro will not work directly in ArcMap.  You can however use these locators in ArcMap if the locator is published to ArcGIS Enterprise and accessed through an connection to the server.

Locators created in ArcMap are not supported starting at Enterprise 11.0 and Pro 3.0.

If you decide to stay at Enterprise 10.9.1, some of the features for locators created in Pro 3.0 or newer may not work but the locators will still be compatible.

0 Kudos