Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Licensing in univ. lab environment - multiple users

04-07-2021 05:17 AM
Labels (1)
GeorgeLeMoine
New Contributor

Hello.  We are preparing a lab with the new ArcGIS 2.7 (in the past we've used desktop versions) and when installing as a local administrator user, we isntall as Per machine and setup licensing as Concurrent...enter in the Lic server name and it all populates accurately with the number of licenses we own....

trouble comes when another user (student) logs in to the same machine, the license info that I populated as admin, doesn't save.  Its like the licensing of ArcGIS pro is profile based.  In a university with multiple labs/student users, what is the solution?  Is there a way (registry/path? perhaps) that the licensing settings save for all users of that machine?

Tks in advance for any direction!

G

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you setting up each machine with a Singe Use license?

Also, any chance you've got enough users in AGOL / Enterprise available to give the students Named User access?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
GeorgeLeMoine
New Contributor

I believe so.  Not familiar with Named User licensing and will that be a management nightmare semester to semester?  Also, will that licensing option be saved when a new user logs in? 

I'll have to look into it more.  

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It could be, depending on the number of students. I actually helped manage the Named User licenses for a University once upon a time, and the turnover was pretty low. I had the instructors submit a spreadsheet of their enrolled students, which you can use to batch-create users in your AGOL / Enterprise org, so it's not too bad.

If you go that route, you may want to choose the option of letting invited users set up their own account, as opposed to creating usernames for them. That way if a student already has a public account with AGOL, they can bring it "into" the AGOL org. The key benefit here is that at the end of the semester, you can downgrade all the students (you can even schedule a python script to do this at the end of the semester for you), and if any of them enroll in a GIS course the next semester, they can re-use the same account as before.

I left before it was implemented, but there was discussion of getting set up with SAML so that university users could just use their same student/faculty login as well. Might be worth looking into as well.

And since Pro is designed to be AGOL / Enterprise connected, the default setting should prompt them to sign in with a username / password. As long as they've been assigned a Pro license in the organization settings, they should be able to successfully authenticate and use Pro without manually changing all the licensing settings per-machine.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is both, i.e., machine and user based in the registry.  The user settings are inherited from the machine settings.  Have you seen Localized and silent install options—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

0 Kudos
JonathanLeavitt
Esri Contributor

@GeorgeLeMoine 
Did you ever find a resolution to this question regarding utilizing concurrent use licenses in your campus GIS lab?

0 Kudos