Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Layout Export

06-14-2023 07:48 AM
GraceTortorici_
New Contributor III

Hi, curious as to why exports of any page size larger than the classic 8.5x11 takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 8 hours to export to my desktop/c drive? It is ONLY with page sizes larger than 8.5x11. I have tried pngs, jpgs, pdf, and aix. Please fix this!! I can't use my laptop if anything is exporting or else it fails after a few hours. 😞

@Robert_LeClair  @AndreasHall @TomBole tagging for some visibility 🙂

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@GraceTortorici_ - thx for the tag!  So there was a thread in 2020 about this using ArcGIS Pro 2.5 where users used a python script in ArcGIS Pro to export very fast.  Others swapped out their WiFi connections and for some reason thwat worked as well.  What release of ArcGIS Pro are you using?  I have not seen slow exports - I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2.

0 Kudos
GraceTortorici_
New Contributor III

Thanks for the quick response @Robert_LeClair ! I am on 2.9.7. We are trying to stay below 3.x for the time being.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Certainly!  In reviewing the internals based upon similiar cases, some users resolved the slowness issue by doing one of the following:

1. Renaming the ESRI folders in c:/users/<user_profile>/appdata/local and :/users/<user_profile>/appdata/roaming to ESRI_OLD.  This is a soft reset of ArcGIS to dafault settings.

2. Are there any shapefiles in your Map View?  Sometimes VERY large shapefiles are the reason.  Exporting to GDB feature classes resolves that issue.

3.  Sometimes an *.aprx is the cause.  Creating  a new *.aprx with the data fixes this issue.

4.  Are your ArcGIS Pro projects saved locallly or on a LAN/WAN.  Saving projects locally may speed up the workflows.

5.  Is there any hatched symbology in your Map View?  Some users have seen slowness due to this symbology option and changed to a different symbology.

Let me know if any of these suggestions help reduce the time to export.

0 Kudos
MapGrrl
New Contributor III

I would just add to this list - If you're using any Hosted Layers (From AGO or Living Atlas, or a Basemap), try turning off those layers to see if the export is better. If so, probably a network or resampling issue (for basemaps).

0 Kudos
BrendanSoulé
New Contributor III

We're seeing this also in Pro 3.1.2 when an APRX has a lot of maps and layouts stored. I tried removing feature services, large shapefiles, even turned all the map layers off and exported a blank layout... The only thing that helped was saving to a new APRX and removing a bunch of the maps and layouts. 

To note, we are also running Pro 3.0.2 on a different server and the exact same APRXs do not have any delays in exporting PDFs. Takes about 30 seconds to export in Pro 3.0.2 and 5+ minutes in Pro 3.1.2

0 Kudos