Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Ignores Changes to CSV data

04-17-2019 12:20 PM
MattAnderson2
New Contributor

I added a csv datasource to my project, but after adding it I found two problems. The first is that a column filled with numeric data had a "Grand Total" entry in the bottom row, so ArcGIS Pro intrepreted the column as text instead. The same column also had a non-descriptive heading label. I removed the datasource from ArcGIS Pro, open the csv file in Excel, remove the grand total row, and change the column heading to something more descriptive, then save the file. I go back into ArcGIS Pro and re-add the datasource. To my frustration, ArcGIS Pro is still calling the column by its old label and still interpreting it as text. Why is this application so frustrating??? How can I get it to read the file without deleting everything and starting over with a new project?

16 Replies
Nuria
by
New Contributor II

It has also happened to me using ArcGIS Pro v3.1.

I have 2 csv files I generated with Jupyter Notebooks. Basically the two files are derived from the same dataframe and when I loaded them to ArcGIS pro, to plot the lat/lon locations, one of them show 2 new columns which are not in the original csv; i.e. if I open the csv file in excel these two columns are not there however, when I open the same csv file from the Contents in my project, the two columns are there. 

I have rerun the Jupyter Notebook again to generate the code and still the same behaviour. I have tried by creating new ArcGIS project in various network locations and the problem persist. I have also rename the file, copied and rename it; it has not work. 

My working folder is Google Drive so I firstly thought it had to do with Google Drive versioning control or something related but after trying in a in a network drive (creating a new ArcGIS project) and getting the same behaviour I am out of ideas. 

How is it possible that ArcGIS pro keeps adding (?) these two new columns to the file after starting afresh. And it is always on the same one of the two I am working with. I would like to understand what's going on here.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you

DeanChiang
Occasional Contributor

Nuria,

Your experience seems even more pervasive than I have encountered.  I would first try to find all files named schema.ini in all your folders and delete them if you find any.  My experience has been that ArcGIS Pro can add it to any folder it has permission, including the main AGP folder parallel to the APRX file, under any subfolders, under Users, separate data folders on another drive, even under OneDrive (in the cloud).  The schema.ini is a plain text file you can open in any text editor. 

0 Kudos
Ben_U
by
New Contributor

This situation is just infuriating.

I added CSV file into Arc Pro and noticed it had a "-" in the Title ID field that I needed to remove. 

I removed the file from Arc Pro,  did a find and replace in the CSV file to remove "-" symbols in the title ID field, and re added the CSV file to my project. 

It was still showing the dash in the Title ID field. 

OK no problem, I found this thread, followed all of the suggested work around's. 

I have deleted the schema.ini file a dozen times.

I have renamed the CSV file.

I have deleted the Arc Pro cache.

I have saved the CSV in a new folder location.

I have re started Arc Pro more than a dozen times.

I have removed all Database connections in the project file and re established them. 

Every single time I load the CSV into Arc Pro it still has the "-" symbol in the title ID numbers. Even though with a new name, in a new folder location, the CSV file does not have any "-" symbols in the Title ID field. 

Arc Pro WILL NOT recognise the change I have made to the Title ID field in the CSV file. The only solution I have found so far is to open it in QGIS and it instantly works perfectly. This is a major issue and it needs fixing ASAP. 

JonasJansson
New Contributor II

I'm running Pro 3.1 and I've encountered the same problem as everyone else in this thread. Even tough I resave changes to a csv reload it to ArcGIS it merges some of the columns taking the updated data but placing it under an old heading. Despicable that this is still a bug so many years later.

0 Kudos
DanyaLittlefield
New Contributor

I'm also having this issue, and I'm running ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1

I was repeatedly exporting a csv from R, refreshing and reloading it into ArcGIS, but a few of my columns were continually not appearing correctly in ArcGIS Pro (column names not loading, data showing up as Null) despite my efforts to correct them at the source in R. After reading this thread, I opened the csv files I had been trying to load and they looked totally fine in Excel. I renamed the corrected csv, restarted ArcGIS, and the problem was solved.

I wasted a ton of time on this today thinking that I had an error in my code, when in fact it was a problem with ArcGIS! ESRI - please address this. 

JeffAdams
New Contributor

Yes?! So much wasted time trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. For crying out loud,  fix this ESRI?!

0 Kudos
FU_ESRI
New Contributor

This issue has been going on for over a decade. It happens with dbf tables and csv. I complained to ESRI about this in 2012 trying to add dbf tables, and 14 years later they haven't fixed it.

0 Kudos