ArcGIS Pro Horizontal Rectangle Shape

Jump to solution
10-24-2019 05:56 AM
SeanConway
New Contributor II

The option in the above screenshot is available in the ArcMap right click context when drawing a rectangle.  I can't seem to find the same option in ArcGIS Pro, and my searches online have been fruitless.  Can anyone point me to this feature in Pro?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sean,

Until Pro has the horizontal option (hopefully in the near term), you can constrain the rectangle to a specific direction. If your map has no rotation, it can work like this:

In this case, I use "90-1". The "90" specifies 90 degrees and the "-1"  part set the quadrant as northeast. That's because my project direction units are set to Quadrant Bearing:

This can be adapted to any of the direction units.

I hope this helps in the meantime.

Scott

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I just recently started using Pro a lot more because Pro works really well for setting up Web Apps and services.

However, I have drawn in thousands  of rectangles using the Horizontal command.

I have found that in a number of ways Pro is superior to ArcMap in many things except editing, labeling, querying, and symbols.

This horizontal thing should be submitted as an idea if it has already not been done.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sean,

Until Pro has the horizontal option (hopefully in the near term), you can constrain the rectangle to a specific direction. If your map has no rotation, it can work like this:

In this case, I use "90-1". The "90" specifies 90 degrees and the "-1"  part set the quadrant as northeast. That's because my project direction units are set to Quadrant Bearing:

This can be adapted to any of the direction units.

I hope this helps in the meantime.

Scott

SeanConway
New Contributor II

Very nice workaround. Thank you for that.