ArcGIS Pro- geoprocessing output location path

Jump to solution
06-19-2020 10:18 AM
AaronWorthley1
Occasional Contributor II

For a while now, every geoprocessing tool or modelbuilder model that has an "Output Location" parameter opens to a long default location that I used several months ago as a layout export path. I can't find any way to change this. It's particularly frustrating because it takes longer to open the Output Location dialog with this long and unnecessary path.

This happens with standard geoprocessing tools like Feature Class to Feature Class, my own custom models, and also in places like Geoprocessing Environment settings when changing the default or scratch workspace.

The default and scratch workspaces are NOT set to this path. Resetting those makes no difference.

Is there any way to change this? I'm getting ready to reinstall the whole Application.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Aaron - one last thing to try, albeit somewhat extreme, is to rename the ESRI folder in your C:\Users\<user_profile>\appdata\local and C:\Users\<user_profile>\appdata\roaming to ESRI_OLD.  Then restart ArcGIS Pro and attempt the workflow again.  What is the result?  By renaming the ESRI folder in the 2 folders, it basically resets AGP back to factory settings as it were and you use any ArcGIS Desktop customization you've done in the past.

AaronWorthley1
Occasional Contributor II

YES! Thanks Robert!- this appears to have put me on the right track. After renaming the ESRI folders, the issues went away. So I dove back into the original App Data>ESRI folders and found this, created around the time the issue started: ...AppData\Local\ESRI_OLD\ArcGISPro.exe_StrongName_yhpsrysqpn4fvmb0spwbakt5o5e50din\2.5.0.0

In this folder is a user.config xml file. Buried down in the xml script is: 

<setting name="BrowseDialogLocations" serializeAs="Xml">

Under that is a long list of path strings, and sure enough, way down in that list is one (and only one) that starts with "Default", and then the file path that's been giving me headaches:

<string>Default;B:\my problem path</string>

Changing that string to just the drive root, saving the xml, and restoring back the ESRI App Data folders has fixed it!

I have no idea how I managed to set this default Browse Dialog Location. I did start a case with ESRI support, so maybe someone can figure it out.

I very much appreciate this pointer!

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Great to hear Aaron and nice job of digging deeper into the XML files too!  If you feel my response is correct, please mark it so to properly close out the thread.  I'd be curious to hear what Esri Support comes back with as well.  All the best!

0 Kudos
PegGronemeyer1
New Contributor III

Have you had any ESRI feedback on this - on HOW that setting deep down was changed?  I have similar issue...

Thanks,

Peg

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
qnadeem
New Contributor II

To set the path to the default folder set the current folder as current workspace. do the followings;

1. Drage the Current Folder from Catalog Pane

2. Link this as a "Current Workspace"

3. in the output path make the path as "%workspace%\outfile.ext"

0 Kudos