ArcGIS Pro- geoprocessing output location path

Jump to solution
06-19-2020 10:18 AM
AaronWorthley1
Occasional Contributor II

For a while now, every geoprocessing tool or modelbuilder model that has an "Output Location" parameter opens to a long default location that I used several months ago as a layout export path. I can't find any way to change this. It's particularly frustrating because it takes longer to open the Output Location dialog with this long and unnecessary path.

This happens with standard geoprocessing tools like Feature Class to Feature Class, my own custom models, and also in places like Geoprocessing Environment settings when changing the default or scratch workspace.

The default and scratch workspaces are NOT set to this path. Resetting those makes no difference.

Is there any way to change this? I'm getting ready to reinstall the whole Application.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Aaron - one last thing to try, albeit somewhat extreme, is to rename the ESRI folder in your C:\Users\<user_profile>\appdata\local and C:\Users\<user_profile>\appdata\roaming to ESRI_OLD.  Then restart ArcGIS Pro and attempt the workflow again.  What is the result?  By renaming the ESRI folder in the 2 folders, it basically resets AGP back to factory settings as it were and you use any ArcGIS Desktop customization you've done in the past.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

what about the scratch folder?

Scratch Folder (Environment setting)—Geoprocessing | Documentation 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1

Good thought, but no. The scratch folder is set by the scratch workspace. The scratch workspace is not set to this location. The scratch folder returns as expected (scratch workspace) when called in arcpy. Changing the scratch workspace still has no impact on the default path in output location parameter dialog.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What about the 'Project' options overriding the environment settings?

'Project' Top left of Pro --> 'Options' --> 'Current Settings' --> Home folder and default geodatabase.

As you say I'm sure you've changed the 'Geoprocessing Environments'

Bring back normal.mxt!

0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1

Nope. Those are routinely changed and never are, or have ever been, set to the path that defaults in the dialog.

0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1

To clarify- this happens when using the "Browse" button on the geoprocessing tool. I'm not positive, but I think this may be a Windows dialog.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If it is a windows dialog, it isn't an Pro issue.  It might be a suggestion to open up File Explorer and see if that path is still stuck when you browse in there.

This has nothing to do with... I have used file explorer since then, it is a search/browse issue potentially. 

If you click on the output file location in the tool that you are using, it usually just shows the output file name.  If you click in that line and left arrow, you will see the path.  That path often differs from the 'browse' option if you click on the folder to do your selection.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1

Right, so the vexing thing is that Windows explorer never defaults to this path on its own outside ArcGIS, and I have not see it in any other apps. The only time it happens is when using geoprocessing tools and browsing to an Output Location parameter. The default location in the tool itself is either the default/scratch workspace (I have them set the same) or if a default location was preset in a model. Once I click the Browse button, the dialog defaults to the one long path from one project back in February. Making me a little crazy.

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Add/Remove Programs, Remove... then select Repair

or Tech Support seems to be the final suggestion on a Friday

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1

Update: I've tried to repair the application, then completely uninstall/reinstall to no avail. Output location parameter still defaults to a crazy long path that I used in one geoprocessing project 6 months ago.