ArcGIS Pro freezes/crashes when adding a legend

Jump to solution
12-04-2020 02:53 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm using ArcGIS Pro version 2.4.0 and virtually every time I attempt to adda legend to my layout, it causes the program to crash. I draw a box with the tool but when I let go of the mouse, no legend appears, the drawing tool remains and I can't interact with ArcGIS Pro at all. I have to kill the program from Task Manager. At this point it's so frequent that I always save right before adding the legend so I can try adding the legend and then just open it up again once it has crashed. What I find especially strange is that it never crashes when I boot it back up again. Any thoughts on what might be causing it?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It it is happening all projects and you have cleared your caches you might want to try an upgrade of Pro or try a repair of the software (Add/remove programs, remove, repair)

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing that I see in the internal reports is a GeoSoft Plug-in (ntdll.dll) will cause the issue.  If you have this plug-in, uninstall it and try your workflow again.  Another thing to try is perform a repair install.  Open the Control Panel>Programs and Features, right-click on ArcGIS Pro and select "Uninstall/Change", and select Repair and run the installation.  That might fix it too.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It it is happening all projects and you have cleared your caches you might want to try an upgrade of Pro or try a repair of the software (Add/remove programs, remove, repair)

... sort of retired...
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing that I see in the internal reports is a GeoSoft Plug-in (ntdll.dll) will cause the issue.  If you have this plug-in, uninstall it and try your workflow again.  Another thing to try is perform a repair install.  Open the Control Panel>Programs and Features, right-click on ArcGIS Pro and select "Uninstall/Change", and select Repair and run the installation.  That might fix it too.  Good luck!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you both for your responses. I cleared my cache to no effect but upgrading to the latest version of ArcGIS Pro seems to have solved the issue, thankfully.

0 Kudos
Bio_GIS
New Contributor III

I'm experiencing this same issue, although it appears to be specific to one hosted feature layer.  

ArcGIS Pro is up-to-date, ran the repair option in Install/Uninstall, cache is cleared, and I do not see the GeoSoft Plug-in (ntdll.dll) or I would've removed that as well in regards to what was recommended above.  I can replicate this issue on two separate PCs.

As a workaround, I isolated the data I needed, exported it to a geodatabase, reimported it and made my maps.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If you're the owner of the hosted feature layer, I'd recommend deleting it and republishing it to the online portal in which it resides.  What is the result?

0 Kudos