ArcGIS Pro fails to connect to the “root” hard drive (D partition),

Jump to solution
06-06-2015 12:15 PM
GeomolgPortal
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro fails to connect to the “root” hard drive (D partition),

I couldn’t figure out why the ArcGIS Pro fails to connect to the “root” hard drive (D partition) the same way the ArcMap does.

What might be the issue here?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

Clip_226.jpg

34 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Are you sure you have 2.4.1 installed? 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't know what the problem is... I can even add the root of C to a project in plain old 2.4...

I suspect that you aren't going up to the root level from the project list.  

I have full admin privileges on my computer and don't use a clone...

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I could guess why I failed to connect to drives. The behavior is not intuitive.

In the screenshot below, the drive D is chosen while the “OK” is deemed and thus one can’t connect to D. If the “Computer” is selected, then the “OK” works.

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That is because the Folders folder is under the Project, so it will only list those referenced within the project.  When you select Computer, it lists those under that path as your images show .  It is intuitive to me since if I want to locate something on the Computer, I go to the main reference to it.  Navigating under the Project banner is limited by what you have added.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Dan for the input

My suggestion is that connecting to Drives should work either way.

Jamal Numan
RobertWright1
New Contributor III

So just to be clear is the folder your trying to connect to is a share folder off of a server:  If so when defining the location of the "folder" put the machine name in the search.

example.  Our data is on a server with a share folder called shape files.  In ArcMap the mapped drive is S:\

the actual path of the data is \\clc-esri-02\ shapefiles....but all you see in ArcMap is the mapped drive of S:\

So If you connect directly to the server by typing in the path at the Add folder connection the folder is listed.

Hope this is helpful.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Robert.

I wanted it to work as in the ArcGIS. However, this sounds not to work in ArcGIS Pro.

Clip_306.jpg

Jamal Numan
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

I'm just now learning Pro.   This is crazy.  Yeah, the UNC work-around is acceptable, but why can't you connect to a root folder ?!?!?  A lot of our staff refer to \\fileserver\shared as "The G Drive".  Is there a good reason for this restriction, ESRI?

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Unacceptable. We structure entire drives (in-workstation and portable) to list GIS project folders...hundreds of them, hanging off the root. 

deleted-user-Yo2nEyVX5Kjk
New Contributor III

I make connections at the root drive in ArcMap a lot because many of my used files are located on a network share, i have to navigate around to find pieces of data from different folders all the time. This capability would be wonderful in Arc Pro. Time for an idea!