arcgis pro crashes when it tries to create a geoprocessing cache

Jump to solution
03-08-2017 01:55 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why does pro 1.4 crash every time "creating geoprocessing cache" dialog appears. I also have ArcGIS 10.3.1 installed if that matters.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

This issue was caused by the PYTHONPATH environmental variable pointing to an ArcGIS Desktop 10.3 Python folder. These PYTHONPATH variables are no longer needed since Desktop 10.0, and can be deleted. Removing the variable value caused the crashing to stop for Terry. In the next release of Pro the crash has been addressed even if the PYTHONPATH variable still exists.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

how are you creating it?

in all projects? or just one?

any particulars about the where it is being created?

the arcmap version shouldn't have an influence since they are separate, it sounds more like a workspace/folder/gdb issue or a permissions issue

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It crashes no matter how it is being created, whether in an existing or new project and it doesn't matter what initiates the cache creation.

I have never had a permissions issue with the data at any level with arcmap 10. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I can't find any references to geoprocessing cache creation and/or issues... lots of server related stuff with images, but short of your progress details or screen grabs, you should check your installation and contact Support

DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Please contact technical support with this issue. It could be a problem with the Python installation in Pro, or numerous other things. You can try to run a simple arcpy command in the Pro Python window to see if Python is OK. For example

arcpy.GetInstallInfo()

Tech support will be able to guide you through and likely find a workaround.

Thanks -Drew

DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

This issue was caused by the PYTHONPATH environmental variable pointing to an ArcGIS Desktop 10.3 Python folder. These PYTHONPATH variables are no longer needed since Desktop 10.0, and can be deleted. Removing the variable value caused the crashing to stop for Terry. In the next release of Pro the crash has been addressed even if the PYTHONPATH variable still exists.

MichaelFinch
New Contributor

I experienced this issue also.  The existence of the PYTHONPATH environment variable is indeed the cause of the issue.  That variable is there because I still have ArcMap 9 installed.  When I eliminated PYTHONPATH, I no longer experience the crash issue in Pro.  Thank you.

MaxHaddan
New Contributor

I also experienced this; however, I am unsure why or how PYTHONPATH was created, as I have never had anything before 10.1 installed. Either way, removing that environmental variable fixed the crash.

0 Kudos
JayEgenhoff
New Contributor

It looks like this bug has resurfaced. I am running ArcGIS Pro 2.2.4 and ArcGIS 10.6.1. 
ArcGIS Pro crashed on every 'Creating GeoProcessing Cache' dialog. Once I removed PYTHONPATH from system variables, all is well. 

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jay, further protections against the crash and PYTHONPATH system variable have been added in the ArcGIS Pro 2.3 release. When the release is available, can you give it a try in your environment and see if the issue is addressed? Thanks

0 Kudos