ArcGIS Pro crashed when perform Calculate Field

Jump to solution
06-19-2017 07:26 AM
La_OdeAbdul_Hafid1
New Contributor III

I joined a CSV file to a feature class. And when I performed Calculate Field, the PRO crashed.  

Any help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

La Ode Abdul Hafid - in reviewing this question, is the data you're working on from the Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro from EsriPress?  The screenshot looks like data from a lesson there based upon a support incident I'm seeing.  If so, it is a BUG referenced below:

[#BUG-000104025 : Pro crashes when trying to Calculate Field on a new field in a joined table with data from the Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro EsriPress book.]

The workaround for this issue is to modify the CSV file using the following workflow:
1. Open the referenced household_income.csv file.
2. Locate and modify the record containing the HHINCOME value of “2,500-” to read “2500” instead.
3. Clear the contents of the HHINCOME field for those records containing dashes.
4. Alter the “GEO.id”, “GEO.display-label”, “GEO.id2” column headers to remove the special characters.
6. Save the CSV file and step through the workflow again.  No crash will be encountered.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I find it helps that after a join, I export the joined data to a new feature class. Then I can perform field calculations and such. If I work on joined data without exporting it, I oftentimes run into problems. Maybe you should try exporting the joined data, then do field calculations. 

La_OdeAbdul_Hafid1
New Contributor III

But can't the workflow (join table - calculate field - unjoin table) be performed, since I found this issue in ArcMap too and the solution is the same?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Look at the documentation: Fundamentals of field calculations—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

It is hard to tell by the screenshot, but you are trying to calculate a field in the CSV, correct? If so, that is not supported.

• The field belongs to a table that has been joined to your table. You can only calculate values for fields in the origin table.
--- George T.
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Even if what he is trying to do isn't supported, which I don't think it is, the application shouldn't crash.  This is a bug if it is reproducible.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I would agree. laodeabdulhafid13_publisher‌ I would recommend logging a new Esri Technical Support case to have DEV review the crash behavior.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
La_OdeAbdul_Hafid1
New Contributor III

Ya. I wonder if it is a bug or because my own PC spec.

0 Kudos
La_OdeAbdul_Hafid1
New Contributor III

I am trying to calculate a field in feature class not CSV file..

George_Thompson

Then I would definitely have an analyst take a look at the issue. 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

hafidloa‌ Can you please message me so that we can get your crash dump?

0 Kudos