ArcGIS Pro cache tile creation issues - ArcCatalog more stable?

05-12-2021 12:41 PM
Labels (1)
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor

Good afternoon.

There was an enterprise wide push in our organization to move to ArcGIS Pro from ArcMap and Catalog. While trying to create a cache tile imagery service, I had the following difficulties:

1. Publish the service with tiling scheme by selecting 'Using tiles from a cache' instead of 'Dynamically from data' would fail.
  2. After creating the dynamic image service, I could not 'start' tile generation process as it would throw an error.
  3. So I had to do a hack by copying the previous year imagery conf.xml to mimic the cache tile scheme that was requested by the end user.
  4. During the generation process, it took forever to create the tiles (total size of imagery = 10.1 TB) across the nation - small area spread out across the continental US.
  5. sometimes the connection to the image server would be lost - leaving the process hanging.
  6. Contents of L cache folders would stop updating (timestamp) but the process would not declare it complete for more than 24 hours..

After fighting with this for a few days, I saw that there were known bugs with cache tile scheme.

The bug number is: BUG-000109510

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/arcmap-vs-arcgis-pro-tile-cache-creation/m-p/1270...

the performance of ArcGIS Pro has been unstable and causing stress to me.  Has this bug been fixed? If yes, which version of ArcGIS  Pro.

thanks and regards

ravi kaushika.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

BUG-000109510 doesn't look like the relevant bug for your issues. You can check the link. 

Could you Build a tile package in ArcGIS Pro and upload to your organization ?

Think Location
0 Kudos
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the info. In fact, I had done what was mentioned in the blog.   So it is not working - there could be server resource or some other issue.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Then it would be better to contact the Esri Technical support

Think Location
0 Kudos