Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Basemap Issues

Jump to solution
04-28-2015 03:52 PM
PaulHoeffler
New Contributor II

We have quite a few basemaps in our Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online organizational account.

When accessing basemaps in Pro we see that the ESRI items display as expected, but most of the non-ESRI basemaps suffer from one of two issues, despite working fine in ArcMap and web maps.

A few display properly, a few clearly have projection issues (e.g. points across the US displaying in the Atlantic Ocean), and most do not display at all (white screen, may also be a projection issue). What I find strange is that they work fine in the AGOL and Portal platforms, through which they're being accessed.

Issue has been noted in Pro 1.0 and 1.1 beta.

My thought is that in some cases modifying the projection information in the basemap's JSON definition will fix the issue, but the one basemap that I attempted this fix with appeared unaffected.

This is an example of a service we have registered as a basemap that works in Portal and AGOL, but is shifted within Pro:

USGSImageryOnly (MapServer)

Most of the basemaps which don't display at all in Pro are MapBox-based.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Paul,

I investigated the issue with your basemap drawing improperly and found that it was only reproducible on some machines, which lead us to a probable cause in the graphics engine.  I've assigned the defect to the responsible developer on my team, and we're working on a fix to be included in Pro 1.1 final.

FYI, the other issue of the basemaps not displaying at all in pro may be due to them using an as-yet-unsupported-in-pro layer type.  Unfortunately no UI warnings exist to warn you of this lack of support.  I'll confirm this with the responsible team here and check with them as to ETA of support for this layer type.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Paul,

I added your example layer manually to and I'm not seeing any shift (see screenshot below).

How much shift are you seeing?

Regardsnotshifted.jpg,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Paul,

I also tested by adding the indicated service to the basemap gallery for my org.  That works fine too, no shift.

Can you give us more information about the shift or projection issues you're seeing, or perhaps a screenshot indicating the nature of the anomalies?

Thanks!

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
YovavZohar1
Occasional Contributor III

I'd also check the Map Properties for it's Coordinate System and Transformations - just in case...

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Paul,

I investigated the issue with your basemap drawing improperly and found that it was only reproducible on some machines, which lead us to a probable cause in the graphics engine.  I've assigned the defect to the responsible developer on my team, and we're working on a fix to be included in Pro 1.1 final.

FYI, the other issue of the basemaps not displaying at all in pro may be due to them using an as-yet-unsupported-in-pro layer type.  Unfortunately no UI warnings exist to warn you of this lack of support.  I'll confirm this with the responsible team here and check with them as to ETA of support for this layer type.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

PaulHoeffler
New Contributor II

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry for such a delayed response - I appreciate all of your work in looking at the issue!

I suspect you're correct that the other issue may be due to an unsupported layer type - they're raster tiles coming out of Mapbox, and that may be in the works? I hope that it will be supported at some point, as we have quite a few products that are based on that platform.

Looking forward to trying out the next beta or 1.1 final.

Thank you again!

Paul

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Paul,

Actually I talked to the team and the layer type I was talking about SHOULD BE fully supported in Pro 1.1 beta.  So if you have a case that is not working still (not the offset thing - that we have a fix for) please submit it with a repro case to tech support so it can go to the appropriate team for triage ASAP.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
MichaelDulin
New Contributor II

Does anyone know if it's possible to load multiple basebamaps into ArcGIS Pro? In the map I'm creating I would like to have the light gray canvas background turned on when zoomed out but when zoomed in past 1:50:000 have the Imagery basemap turn on automatically by setting the visible scales ranges accordingly. Currently I'm only able to load one basemap into ArcGIS Pro they seem to override each other.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

To add a second basemap (but NOT as the main basemap) you can add it from the project Pane, under Portals->All. 

Search for the name of the basemap (e.g Light Grey Basemap). 

Then you can right-click to add it to the map, and tweak the scale ranges for this and the other "Basemap" to achieve the effect you're trying to achieve.

0 Kudos