ArcGIS Pro Basemap Coordinate System

11-22-2021 05:09 AM
AlyssaPietraszek1
New Contributor II

I added several LAS layers to a new map in ArcGIS Pro (NAD 1983 Zone 5N). However, they are offset from the basemap, which is still in WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere). How can I change the coordinate system of the basemap to match that of my LAS data layers?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Alyssa,

The basemap you are trying to change to match the LAS layers... is it a basemap from AGOL?  Or a basemap you own?

Also, what version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
AlyssaPietraszek1
New Contributor II
Yes, it is a basemap from AGOL, and I’m working with ArcGIS Pro version 2.7.26828.
0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I am not sure its possible to project a basemap from AGOL, but you can try turning if off when you open a new project then bring in your LAS first, save the project, then add the basemap if you want it to be in your map.  ArcGIS Pro should honor the first layer added to the project as the default projection.  To do this go into your ArcGIS Pro options by Open ArcGIS Pro, click on the Projects tab, then choose "Options" from the left hand column list.  When the options dialogue appears, click on "Map and Scene" then click the down arrow for the "Basemap" and check the radio button for "None" and click "OK".  Restart ArcGIS Pro, add your LAS file to a new map and save it.  Your LAS should be the default projection for your project and anything else you choose to add ie. basemaps or other layers, they should re-project on the fly.  If this doesn't work let me know and I can provide another solution.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
AlyssaPietraszek1
New Contributor II

Unfortunately that didn't work. 

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

OK.  Another idea is..

Create a new project, bring in the basemap with the WGS84 and maybe one other layer with the same projection.  Then bring in your LAS layer file.  Save the project.  Go to the "Analysis" tab and click the "Tools" toolbox.  When the geoprocessing tools pane pops up, do a search for the "Project LAS" and then choose the tool that corresponds with it... I think the name of the tool is "Project Raster".  Try running this tool to project the LAS layer file to match that of the basemap or the extra layer file you pulled into the project first.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
DrVSSKiran
Occasional Contributor II

Create a blank project and remove the base map layers whatever added into your default project. And try to add your las data and review. You can reproject the las data based on your AGOL base maps.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro, when you add a new map view it is using WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere).  The first operational layer you add to the map changes the projection from Web Mercator to the projection the vector or raster dataset.  If the offset is slight, it sounds like a geographic transformation is not being properly applied.  To check (and apply) a geographic transformation, review the following documentation here - thx!  What is the result?

DenizTuran
New Contributor

Hi Robert,

I'm having the same problem. Using a basemap in WGS 1984 Web Mercator while all my data layers are set in WGS84. I need to manually add some points to one of the layers but I'm confused which layer should I take as my reference point? The basemap or the roads layer (set in WGS84). Really appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

DenizTuran - if your vector layers are in WGS 1984 and are the first layers added to the ArcGIS Pro map view, then the map view coordinate system is WGS 1984.  If you're adding points in the map, then those points would also be in WGS 1984 rather than WGS 1984 Web Mercator.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos