ArcGIS Pro and Mobile Map Package : "the workspace is not connected"

Jump to solution
08-14-2018 02:33 AM
FredCoud
New Contributor III

Hi.

I am currently trying to process mobile map packages with ArcGIS Pro (2.1.2) and the geoprocessing tool "createMobileMapPackage". The data source is a geodatabase (.gdb).

I made some tests on my computer (operating system Windows 10 professional) and it works well. But these were tests and I now need it to work with the operating system Windows Server 2008 R2 Entreprise, a remote desktop without internet connection.

Except this time, it does not work. The files and folder structure are the same, so I am making the exact same test as before but with the remote desktop this time. I get the error : "the workspace is not connected". At first, I thought it was due to internet connection. So I tried the tool Fiddler, to check that, and it seems that no internet connection is required. This was also confirmed by the ESRI support team, who had no explanation to this issue. Here is some shot of ArcGIS Pro result window: 

I tried some other tools :

- createVectorTilePackage : the same error occurs.

- the Clip tool : works perfectly fine.

Could this problem come from the remote desktop environment or parameters ? I think it is strange that some tools work just fine and others not... I am inclined to think this may come from the internet connection after all.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FredCoud
New Contributor III

At the end, we installed ArcGIS Pro again, but on the C: drive this time (and not the 😧 drive, as it was before).

Now everything works just fine...

Thanks for your help !

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Fred Couderette‌ you mention that you were working with Esri support.  Do you still have a case open? 

"This was also confirmed by the ESRI support team, who had no explanation to this issue."

As the issue is not resolved, I'm assuming support is still working on this with you.  Do they reproduce the same error when working on Windows Server 2008 R2?  Are you able to upgrade ArcGIS Pro to 2.2.1 and try the workflow?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

I remote desktop-ed to a Server 2008 machine and created a mobile map package with ArcGIS Pro 2.1   My map has one simply polygon feature class.  Doesn't appear to be an easy repro case.

Fred - if you try a map with a single simple feature, does the error occur?

FredCoud
New Contributor III

First, thank you for your answers.

- Krory Kramer : the case with ESRI was closed, they said it was probably related to the remote desktop configuration... I wrote again after testing the internet connection with Fiddler, last week, but they have not replied yet. Not sure they will, since the first case is classified without an answer. I cannot upgrade my Pro version yet (should be done next week though).

But I did notice something about the version I work with : when on my computer, I use the 2.1.3 version, and on the remote desktop, I have the 2.1.2 version... could it be related ? Some error fixing between the two versions ? I consulted a web page on that subject (Notes de version d'ArcGIS Pro 2.1—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop) and I did not find anything about mobile map packages tool changes.

- Mark Bockenhauer : on my computer, the process works fine with my project. Since it did not work on the remote desktop, i did try to launch the process with only some polygon. That does not change anything, I still get the same error.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

There is clearly something going on with your Win SVR 2008 config that is breaking this. Since it works on your local workstation...

The devil is in the details here, what is different between the two? How are you logging onto the remote machine? Same account? Admin account? If same account, does that account have full control access to the output folder? I'm pretty sure your issue is permissions related. What are the chances you can upgrade past SVR 2008? 

FredCoud
New Contributor III

On my computer, I have an admin account, but not on the remote desktop (I don't even know who could be admin on that...for now).

So if I were to summarize the previous posts, the main leads are :

- the ArcGIS Pro version which sould be upgraded to 2.1.3;

- the Windows server version;

- my account permissions, for I may not have the rights to access/use the mandatory ArcPy files to create a MMPK file.

I won't be there next week, but one of my colleagues is supposed to upgrade ArcGIS Pro on every computer, so this wil be tested eventually.

Regarding upgrade past SVR 2008, honestly, I don't know. I would say there is very little chance... I'll check that with the right person when she comes back to office.

I will let you know when I have more information/failures

Thanks again for the help !

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

You shouldn't need admin rights on a remote machine to export a map package, so that's where investigation of permissions might be the solution here. Can someone else login to that machine and they get the same error?

0 Kudos
FredCoud
New Contributor III

I'll check that

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

For your first point about upgrading to 2.1.3, is there a reason you aren't upgrading to the current version which is 2.2.1?  That would be recommended.

0 Kudos
FredCoud
New Contributor III

No, there's not.

It is supposed to be done on every computer next week, so indeed, it would be better to upgrade the remote desktop directly to 2.1.3 at the same time.

0 Kudos