ArcGIS Pro administration question

Jump to solution
11-20-2015 10:44 AM
TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

Our organization generally views program execution outside of the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) directories as malware attempts and blocks execution using Microsoft's AppLocker.

The ArcGIS Pro 1.1.1 software tries to check for update availability like this, even when the install directory was allowed to default to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro:

C:\USERS\TIM\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\{86DF19EB-4AD6-4306-8C1B-6F39E10EC2D9}\ARCGISUPDATE.EXE

So, via an Esri support case, I've requested consideration of this design as a bug.  No final status on that yet.

The question -

Do other organizations view this behavior as a malware signature?  Thoughts, comments, instructions are all welcome.

My objective is to find a way to allow ArcGIS Pro to check for update availability when a user starts it, given our AppLocker configuration.

thanks!

tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimMinter

Thought I'd better wrap this one up with the final findings.  Many of the ArcGIS Pro executables were not digitally signed at version 1.1.1, including ArcGISUpdate.exe.  AppLocker in our environment is configured to not run untrusted executables from specifically blacklisted locations, e.g. from C:\USERS\TIM\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\.  Esri tech support opened a medium severity bug for this on 12/4/2015.

edit:  example of blacklisted location.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

At our institution (a university) hardware and software is configured to meet the requirements of the users.  We have had no issues with anything security wise (or otherwise) when configured properly.  I would be surprised if our user-driven model was not widely used by other organizations.

TimMinter

Oh, this makes me yearn for the days of learning, enlightenment, and user-driven models at university!

Things can be a bit different in centrally managed, firmly secured environments.  The IT hardware and software resources here are configured to adhere to laws, align with administrative policies, and enable staff to perform their duties, which creates a narrower solution field hemmed in by more constraints.

Your point is well taken, and it presents an approach for which I advocate regularly.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tim nice point... I wasn't suggesting our was better, just different.  Sometimes, 10 people helping a person cross the road can create its own problems

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Guys,

FWIW I posited the question to the dev group responsible for the updater infrastructure, and they're discussing possible changes for a future release to mitigate some of these issues.  Thanks for bringing this up as a possible enhancement!

TimMinter

Thanks Jeremy!  A quick update, and hopefully a resolution for our environment, anyway...  During the course of working the support case, our team noticed that the ArcGISUpdate.exe file went from being unsigned to being signed.  Our AppLocker policies allow the Esri-signed file to execute.  So, the issue was resolved locally.  Maybe there are other changes to consider for a more generic fix.

0 Kudos
HelenYang1
New Contributor II

Hi, Jeremy,

I just installed the ArcGIS Pro 2.0 today. The issue is still there. The ArcGIS Pro software installed is in the white-list controlled environment. The publisher is not enabled. 

Wonder whether Esri has plan to put this file in a specified location?

What impact will be if the file is blocked? 

Thanks

Helen

TimMinter

Thought I'd better wrap this one up with the final findings.  Many of the ArcGIS Pro executables were not digitally signed at version 1.1.1, including ArcGISUpdate.exe.  AppLocker in our environment is configured to not run untrusted executables from specifically blacklisted locations, e.g. from C:\USERS\TIM\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\.  Esri tech support opened a medium severity bug for this on 12/4/2015.

edit:  example of blacklisted location.