Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro 3.2 database connections to SQL Server 2019 not showing contents, no error

3016
10
Jump to solution
11-22-2023 08:48 AM
Labels (1)
ColForbin
Occasional Contributor

I just upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 3.2 on Windows 10 machine.  When I right-click and Refresh any existing database connections, nothing happens.  I cannot see the contents of the database at all and there are no errors.  I can create a new feature class successfully.  I tried creating a new database connection and it is created successfully but I cannot open the connection to see the contents, refresh does nothing.  I've installed the MS ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server.  Existing projects created in 3.1 that have feature classes from the same database connections load and show up in the map and can view and edit records in the attribute table.

Geodatabase version: 11.0.0.3.0
SQL Server Version: 2019

Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColForbin
Occasional Contributor

With the help of Esri Tech Support, I solved this problem.  The solution was to delete all the folders in this path: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Index\

 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
LarryMcEvoy70
New Contributor II

I did the same upgrade last week if I use a OS authenticated user I can see the data if I use a database authenticated user I get no data, my solution was to downgrade and log a service call. It looks a bit buggy to me. I'm using SQL Server 2016 but problem seems to be the same.

ESRI support are looking for screen grabs of the connections in both 3.1 and 3.2 I will get around to it next week some time but I downgraded to get some work done so the will have to wait a little while for me to upgrade again just to get them some screen grabs. 

0 Kudos
ColForbin
Occasional Contributor

@LarryMcEvoy70 Thanks for that info.  For me it seems to make no difference if I use an OS authenticated connection or a DB authenticated connection.  I'm also engaged with support on this issue and will post any findings.

0 Kudos
ColForbin
Occasional Contributor

With the help of Esri Tech Support, I solved this problem.  The solution was to delete all the folders in this path: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Index\

 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

...

0 Kudos
ColForbin
Occasional Contributor

@Anonymous User no they did not, other than providing a link to this information about how projects are indexed: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/projects/index-project-items.htm

0 Kudos
LaurenWinkler
Occasional Contributor

I deleted the contents from C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Index\ yesterday and was able to connect to an SDE database, but the same problem came back today. Can this be reopened to find a more permanent solution?

I am working in ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1.

JM32
by
New Contributor III

I had this issue twice in the last 3 months. The first time no one really knew what was causing the issue, but my SDE database connections wouldn't load any data. You would connect to them but in the Catalog, when you opened the drop down it would be empty. My IT department basically redid my computer since they thought it was related to my Windows User Profile. The problem was fixed at this point but was a huge pain.

Yesterday, 1/29/2024, the same issue happen. All my SDE database connections were in Catalog, but were empty all of a sudden. Thankfully, I found this thread and believe I found the issue as to why it happens. The problem only started after I enabled Indexing for Enterprise geodatabases in ArcGIS Pro. I just disabled this index and my databases load all of their contents.

@LaurenWinkler @Anonymous User @LarryMcEvoy70 I would disable Indexing on Enterprise geodatabases on your end and see if this resolves things. Hope this helps!

LaurenWinkler
Occasional Contributor

Thanks! I checked the projects that had the issue and noticed that indexing was disabled for enterprise geodatabases, but will keep this in mind for the future.

MattWilkie1
Occasional Contributor III

I ran into this too. GDB in SQL Server 2019 seem to be ok with indexing enabled, but regular db are invisible.

In Sql Server 2016 and Oracle 19c both db and gdb are empty.

Thank you Esri Canada's Sukhjit P. for putting me on the right track with this thread. Solving this was a multiday endeavour.

0 Kudos