Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro 3.02 freezing

10-14-2022 01:23 AM
HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, ever since upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 3.02 it freezes whenever I try to delete a feature class from a geodatabase.  Have others found the same thing?

I only upgraded when trying to resolve the issue of Pro freezing when trying to open a spreadsheet (which still isn't resolved, despite following instructions here: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/data-management/guide-to-connecting-to-excel-fi... )

Any suggestions welcome.  I can feel a defection to QGIS getting ever closer at the moment!!

Thanks, 

Helen

15 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Helen - when I see strange freezing/crashing items like this, I rename the ESRI folder in my c:\users\<user_profile>\appdata\local and c:\users\<user_profile>\appdata\roaming to ESRI_OLD.  This fixes most issues that I see.  If you've never renamed/deleted these before and do the ArcGIS Pro upgrades from time to time, for some reason it causes issues.  Not sure why.

HelenCooper

Hi Robert, thanks for the suggestion but sadly it doesn't work. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Helen - I wonder if the geodatabase feature class or geodatabase is corrupt.  To test, create a few file geodatabase, copy/paste the Feature Class from the source to the target.  In the target, try to delete the feature class.  Does it work as expected or does it freeze like the source geodatabase feature class?

0 Kudos
LayerItOn
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Robert_LeClair  having the same issue from above. For me, when I copy it to a new filegeodatabase, it freezes/crashes like the source geodatabase feature class. 

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

This is very odd.  Can you send me the zipped up geodatabase to rleclair at esri dot com so I may evaluate on my side?  Also, do you have any Add-Ins installed in your ArcGIS Pro installation?  Maybe that's causing an issue?

0 Kudos
LayerItOn
Occasional Contributor

I do not have any add ins as far as I can tell. I will email you! 

0 Kudos
LydiaStekkinger
New Contributor III

I also have problems with a computer freeze when I'm deleting features in my geodatabase feature class. I had the problem with not being able to opening an Excel directly into ArcGIS Pro too (issue with the drivers; geoprocessing loading Excel does work). I've copied the feature class in a new fgdb, created a new feature class with the old one as template, even created a feature class completely from scratch in a completely new, local aprx. In the last one I drew a line, saved. Then wanted to delete it. ArcGIS Pro froze again. So I'm starting to think it has nothing to do with the dataset itself. I'm working with ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Good morning @LydiaStekkinger - sorry to hear you're experiencing this freeze issue as well.  A couple questions and/or things to try:

1.  Do you have any Add-ins installed like XTools? If so, I'd recommend uninstalling those and try again.
2.  Are you using 2 monitors via a docking station?  If so, let's try disconnecting from the docking station and attempting the workflow again.
3.  Run the "Can you run it" application to see if there is any hardware issues - systemrequirementslab.com/client-app?refid=1256&appkey=6D681CD0-BA6C-4B6B-9A82-639759CFD094&requirem...
4.  You mentioned Excel - do you have the correct drivers installed?  You can determine and download the correct drivers here - Install the drivers to work with Microsoft Excel files—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
5.  You're at ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2 - is it possible to upgrade to the most current release (3.3)?

0 Kudos
HelenCooper

Hi @LayerItOn , I'm so sorry I don't remember actually resolving this issue.  It isn't an issue for me now, but I have upgraded a few versions since this post. I think I may have worked around it for a while by not deleting feature classes, but just renaming them (e.g. prefixing with a 'z' so they're at the bottom of the list).  Sorry I can't offer more help and good luck!

0 Kudos