ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 SDE Database Connection Rename Issues

Jump to solution
03-17-2022 05:09 AM
MollyMoore
Occasional Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 software. When I make a connection to an SDE geodatabase on our SQL Server, I can access and open the geodatabase fine until I rename the connection. Once I rename the connection file, it breaks the connection to the geodatabase.

I've never had an issue with this in my 3+ years using Pro, but I see this may have been a bug back in 2014. Is anyone else struggling with this in the 2.9 upgrade?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Just a hunch.... what is the naming convention you are using for the name and version?  If you are using characters like (.,-_*) try to eliminate those and definitely no spaces.

Amanda Bishop, GISP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Molly,

This thread may shed light on your issue:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/arcgis-pro-database-connection-rename-issue/m-p/2... 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
MollyMoore
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I saw this thread - it seems the same issue has re-emerged in 2.9, at least for me. None of the suggestions (using Catalog view and pane, hitting enter, etc.) solved this issue for me.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you tried repairing your installation?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
MollyMoore
Occasional Contributor

I tried repairing and tried a full uninstall/reinstall with no luck. 

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

That's strange.  I am working off the latest copy of ArcGIS Pro and I was able to go in and rename a database connection and still connect to it and all.  Hmmmmm

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

When I see strange things like this, I rename my ESRI folder to ESRI_OLD in the c:/users/<user_profile>/appdata/local and c:/users/<user_profile>/appdata/roaming - I used ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 as well with eGDB's and don't have any issues renaming the *.sde connections.

MollyMoore
Occasional Contributor

This is a good idea. Unfortunately, I continue to have the same issue with renaming the .sde connections.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I agree with what @Robert_LeClair stated.  This brings up another question for me.  When you uninstalled/reinstalled/repaired your ArcPro, did you check to see if all the old folders for ArcMap and Pro were removed first before reinstalling?  Sometimes fragments of these folders cause issues with certain things.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
MollyMoore
Occasional Contributor

I'll try the reinstall again and try to make sure to delete these folders prior.

0 Kudos