Select to view content in your preferred language

Arcgis Pro 2.5 - SQL Database Connection

Jump to solution
02-06-2020 03:46 PM
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

So I just opened an old (pre 2.5) pro project and noticed that after the update data from a database connection would not load. I thought this was strange so I opened an brand new project and I get this error when trying to add a SQL database. My SQL Server Client software is updated. 

Any ideas about how to to fix this? 

13 Replies
JulieDel_Muto
New Contributor II

What if your database is still on SQL 2012?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

I would recommend having it upgraded to a supported SQL Server version; Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.7.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.3 and 2.4—System Requi... 

It "may" connect and act like normal but then may also not work.

--- George T.
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

2.5 broke my 2012 sql connections as well, but after reading this blog I decided to try Driver 11:

ODBC Driver 11 worked for me with SQL server (express) 2012 🙂

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

FWIW on this thread, as far as we can tell, we think this occurs when a machine only has the SQL Server 2012 Native Client installed.  Note that that client has not been supported since ArcGIS Pro 2.2.  While it may have continued to work throughout Pro 2.3 and 2.4, it was not supported (see Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.7.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.3 and 2.4—System Requi... ).  As stated on this thread, for one user, updating to ODBC driver 11 resolved the issue for SQL Server 2012 but more importantly, as also noted above, be sure to check the requirements for ArcGIS Pro 2.5 here: Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.8 and ArcGIS Pro 2.5—System Requirements | ... to ensure you are running a supported version of SQL Server along with a compatible driver.

I'm sharing this in the hope that it helps to clarify the situation based on the information we have.  At this point, we have no indication that ArcGIS Pro 2.5 "breaks" database connections when running a supported version and compatible driver.

Thank you!