Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro 2.5: “analyze mosaic dataset” tool ends up with “references files are inaccessible” error,

04-08-2020 01:57 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.5: “analyze mosaic dataset” tool ends up with “references files are inaccessible” error,

The “analyze mosaic dataset” tool ends up with “references files are inaccessible” despite the fact that the folder where the images are saved is shared and accessible as shown in the screenshots below.

What could be the issue here?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
26 Replies
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Many thanks for the input.

Correct. This is what I have done literally! I have been working with UNC path but not a mapped network drive letter as it is shown in my screenshots above. Nevertheless, I got that very frustrating error

By the way, I have shared all my D drive and all the steps are performed by communicating the machine with UNC path

\\Jamalnuman\d\Ramallah_2011_50cm_TMGrid_jpg

Jamal Numan
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In the last graphic for Repair Mosaic Dataset interface, click the open folder far right next to each mosaic dataset path and path it to where the mosaic dataset resides.  I realize it could be in the same referenced path as the old path but try and see if it resolves the issue.

There's also a Repair Mosaic Dataset Paths GP tool you could use to accomplish the same task.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Robert.

Sticking the physical path of the data contained in the mosaic dataset nor “repair mosaic dataset path” tool resolve the issue. The same error persists to exist

what could be the issue here?

Jamal Numan
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Was the mosaic dataset created with ArcMap and if so, what release?  10.5?  10.6?  Are you using ArcGIS Server as well and if so, what release?  The reason I ask is there's an ArcGIS 10.7 Mosaic Dataset Compatibility Patch that "might" be the fix.  If not, I'll keep digging.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hi Robert,

All has been performed in Pro.

You can replicate the issue if you consider the folder structure shown in the screenshot below. Just try it with any imageries of you choice and the issue will appear

D:\

OrthophotosImageries

Orthophoto_WestBank_2018

Folder containing the imageries:

Orthophoto_WestBank_2018_Aerial_25cm_jpg_Palestine1923GridCassiniClarke

gdb

Mosaic

Jamal Numan
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Jamal - I mimicked your directory workflow on my C: drive vs 😧 drive and discovered some interesting items.  As structured, I could create the file gdb and mosaic dataset element but not add rasters to the MDS.  It threw a very cryptic FDO error that I could not find an answer to.  I then moved the file gdb to the C:/Orthoimageries folder and COULD add the rasters to the MDS.  From there, I successfully completed the Analyze Mosaic Dataset (no issues). I then moved the file gdb back to the C:\OrthophotosImageries\Orthophoto_WestBank_2018\Orthophoto_WestBank_2018_Aerial_25cm_jpg_Palestine1923GridCassiniClarke directory and attempted to Analyze Mosaic Dataset again.  The tool errored out stating "Failed to Analyze..."

Reviewing your structure, it's my belief that it's the location of the file GDB causing the issues by being in the same folder as your source *.jpg images.  If you move the file GDB to a higher folder, do you still get the error messages?  In the GDB classes I teach, it's typically not best practice to have the file GDB with a MDS element in the same folder as your source imagery.  Test this by moving your GDB to another folder and run Analyze Mosaic Dataset again.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Saving the gdb in the same folder that contains the imageries generates the error shown in the screenshot below

Jamal Numan
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Correct - this is what I was seeing too.  Can you copy the *.gdb to a higher level folder and analyze again?  What is the result?  Please advise.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

It works fine as the gdb is saved inside “OrthophotosImageries” folder. However, I got the error below as I wanted to publish

“server input path exceeds operating system limit”

Jamal Numan
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yep, too many characters in the same of the input path - i.e. you'll have to shorten the name of the file folders and file geodatabase names in order to publish the Map Service.