Select to view content in your preferred language

arcgis pro 2.4 csv support broken?

08-06-2019 04:56 AM
NadavPenn
New Contributor

I got a new computer at work, and they reinstalled ArcGIS. I used Pro 2.3 and now i have version 2.4.

in the project i was working on, i had layers joined to CSV data (actually excel, but trying to import excel data to ArcGIS pro has proven beyond me). 

now, i opened ArcGIS Pro 2.4 on the new computer, and some of the links to the layers are broken. among those are the links to the CSV tables that i joined with a layer (a layer of city polygons i joined with tabular CSV data from a survey). 

my main issue currently is that ArcGIS Pro 2.4 won't recognize csv files. they are in the folder but it won't show them.

i tried adding data, i tried draggin the csv file straight into ArcPro, nothing seems to work. 

any ideas?

thanks!

p.s ignore the first csv file in the screenshot, i accidentally linked it to a XLS file.

p.s.s. i'm not GIS expert, so i hope i made sense. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

In that screenshot, there are other broken layers in addition to the csv tables.  Can you switch to List by Data Source and look at the location of the data sources for the broken layers?

That might help narrow this down.

0 Kudos
NadavPenn
New Contributor

hi and thanks, new screenshot attached. 

yes, there are other broken layers, though that's not my concern at the moment (there was a mishap during migration to new computer, my fault actually :-/, so i'll have to add them again, anew).

is that somehow related to arcgis pro 2.4 inability to recognize / accept CSV files?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

That definitely looks strange.  That folder should show the file path next to it.  What is the path if you use Windows file explorer?  I'm not sure how or why that folder wouldn't be showing a path in Pro but it appears that is why your layers are broken (and not that CSVs in general are broken in Pro.

Is there anything special about that folder?  You said there was a mishap during migration.  Could be related. 

0 Kudos
NadavPenn
New Contributor

Hi, the broken links are no doubt due to the migration. 

though that's not the problem i was looking for assistance with. 

I added the layer again and was able to join fields and add the data i wanted from an Excel file.

Unfortunately Pro reads all the (numeric) data as Text, so i had to transform it into numeric data via calculate field.

in Pro 2.3 i was able to join fields from a CSV file (rather than a .xls file) and thus Pro recognized numbers as being numbers... 

my question: is it now impossible to add CSV files to arcgis pro (2.4)?

attached is a screenshot of current situation - everything is linked and working properly...

but still csv import is a no go.

thanks!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Pro should read the CSVs just fine.  Please contact technical support to troubleshoot.

0 Kudos