ArcGIS Pro: 2.4.2: In general, ArcPro has less performance than ArcMap,

10-27-2019 11:42 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro: 2.4.2: In general, ArcPro has less performance than ArcMap,

I observed that the ArcPro has less performance than ArcMap. This observation is related to all tools and behaviors

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
123 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

David Wheelock‌ are you able to send me an mpk of your 1:3 minute example?

If it's too big for email, let me know and I can set up an ftp site.

Thanks

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks for the examples, David.  When comparing labeling performance in ArcMap vs. Pro, are you using either the Standard labeling engine in both, or Maplex in both?  Just want to make sure ArcMap isn't using the Standard labeling engine (which is the default) and Pro using Maplex (which is the default).

DavidWheelock2
Occasional Contributor II

Maplex for both.

BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

Here Here for the old and dusty AV3, for attribute table joining, querying, calculating etc. it has no competitors..... Millions of records? No problem....except for the darn 2gb limit! 😞

EllenNodwell_IntegraShare
Occasional Contributor

Oh how I wish I had an old copy of that!!!! Somehow left it somewhere... 😞

MattWilkie1

I'm happy to send you a copy (should probably send me something that proves you have a license for ArcGIS desktop so I don't run afoul of Esri legal).

MattWilkie1

Helpful apples to apples comparison. Thanks. Also thanks for mentioning AV3. I fire it up from time to time just so I can feel what speed feels like. 😉

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
I had a user recently request a large, highly detailed wall-map of the city.  The map has lots of street labeling.  The Maplex labeling performance is much SLOWER in ArcGIS Pro.  I wound up giving up on Pro for this project because I just didn't want to wait that long for every refresh while tuning the labeling.
  • Measurements:
    • ArcMap: 1 minute.
    • ArcGIS Pro: 3 minutes.

Just "three minutes"? You make me laugh... 😉

I have build a complex renderer for OpenStreetMap data that is completely dependent on Maplex as well for all labeling. For an A0 1:M scale Europe map, it probably took half a day for Maplex to figure out the label positions when set to "Best" quality and to output the final PDF (which used transparent hillshading as well, allthough not much visible in the images below, and also a performance killer on export).

Granted, this is taking it to the extreme... ;-):

Detail:

DavidWheelock2

OK, Marco, you win.  

But to repeat my comment below, ESRI has found a problem that was slowing down labeling in Pro and a fix is forthcoming in 2.5.  Also, more improvements in future versions.

I'm holding my breath.

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm holding my breath.

Me too, but looking at ESRI's history, they usually only get it right at the third major iteration of the software (ArcView 3.x, ArcGIS for Desktop 10, although some will probably say it never got better after 9.3.x...), so I think I will hold my breath for Pro 3.0 instead...