ArcGIS Pro: 2.4.2: In general, ArcPro has less performance than ArcMap,

10-27-2019 11:42 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro: 2.4.2: In general, ArcPro has less performance than ArcMap,

I observed that the ArcPro has less performance than ArcMap. This observation is related to all tools and behaviors

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
123 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Converted to a discussion since it is not a question and other people would have differing opinions.

GarrettSeay1
New Contributor III

I can agree with you on this. I also find that some tools just never work well. I’ve left a tool spinning over night before and came back with it not completed. Of course, I can’t think of the tool that did or right now, but I can remember it happening for what could have been considered a simple tool.

This may help you though: How caching works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

H__AlexHuskey
New Contributor III

Garrett: That's definitely frustrating, and prompts the question of why Esri doesn't set up application performance monitoring to notice orphan processes. A tool that's taking too long to load should trigger action on the part of Esri staff, and notification to the user and our support teams.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yes, what is the deal with opening a GP tool (any one) and it taking 5 minutes to open, regardless of computer hardware.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thomas:

Just wondering if you are part of the Pro 2.5 beta program that is now running?  If so, has the opening of GP tools gotten any better?  This seems like an important area that ESRI developers should be working on.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I haven't had any problems with lengthy delays opening GP tools, especially 5 minutes.

Local install as administrator, locally stored data, no clone (but with many package installs and upgrades to base install.

Same in 2.4 and beta 2.5.

It may not be the 'standard' situation, but one to compare to in order to rule out culprits (ie basemaps, SDE, non-admin users etc etc)

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

This is before we're adding data to the GP Tool UI, so that's not the issue. The issue is getting the UI to even open, it just sits there blue dots scrolling from left to right, regardless of the permission level the user has to the OS. Comparing to ArcMap, we don't see this behavior when opening a GP tool every time we open one.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

As in the example by Mark... the GUI is sniffing out the map.

See if it takes the same amount of time the second time it is called?

Copy all the data to a new map and rerun the tool twice.  How do the times compare?

A workflow I commonly use is to have one map dedicated to geoprocessing.  I copy only what I need there, do the work, delete the layers and return to the map that I use for display.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

The slowness is not limited to working with Geoprocessing tools. It applies to almost all other functions on the software such as the ones I’m shown in the screenshots below.

I can give a concrete example that the Pro has less performance than ArcMap. Try to publish a map of one layer on both Pro and ArcMap. You will be finding out that the process is accomplished with ArcMap much faster than Pro

Sometimes I feel as if I’m working with web App but not desktop!

What do you think guys?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine