ArcGIS Pro 2.4.0 Create Features Bug

07-31-2019 12:40 PM
IanPryor
New Contributor III

Simple creating a new feature (polyline) and the object does not show up on screen until i save, remove feature layer and then readd feature layer. Anyone else experience this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ian,

One way that I think this could occur... the features are symbolized with Unique Values and feature are being created with a default value that doesn't have the symbol class defined yet. Is this the case?

Another question: What is the source of the data (File Geodatabase, Enterprise Geodatabase, Shapefile)?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
IanPryor
New Contributor III

File Geodatabase and no it is not symbology/unique values related, just using default. I think this is video driver related. Behavior changes if I move Pro instance between monitors.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ian,

That's definitely odd behavior that I haven't seen before. You can try updating the drivers for the video card from the device manufacturer, and if that doesn't work, perhaps reach out to Esri Technical Support for some assistance: https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support 

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

As Scott has mentioned, updating the video card is always important, and if you have the monitors connected to a laptop through a docking station, you might also want to look into drivers for the docking station...

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

We've seen this in editing with 2.4, we create a feature, with the symbology set to all features the same, i.e. a simple red line, we draw a new line, it is selected (highlighted), we deselect line and it simply disappears.  The new feature is visible in the attribute table, it just, for some reason does not draw in ArcGIS Pro.  If you hit the refresh it will then draw, it's like there's a lag in the refresh of the map somehow, very frustrating. Is there a graphics setting or something we can try to fix? Otherwise it's basically, create a feature>refresh button in lower right > create feature > refresh button....this is so lame.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

Some questions/suggestions I have:

1. Can you please share a screenshot from Project > Options > Display?
    • Please try clearing the local cache from this option page.
    • Also please try switching the rendering engine in here (from DirectX to OpenGL and vice versa).
  2. What graphics card does your system have (Manufacturer and specific model).
    • You can find out by typing "dxdiag.exe" in windows search. Perhaps share a screenshot of the "Display 1" tab.
  3. Have you can tried updating the drivers for the graphics card from the device manufacturer?
  4. Are you using a docking station?

Also, if none of the above work, please don't hesitate to reach out to Esri Technical Support so we can gather more information and troubleshoot further: https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support 

Thank you,

Scott

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

Lenovo P51s - Quadro M520 - yes docking station - Lenovo Ultra - I'll try clearing the cache and updating drivers and switching form DirectX to OpenGL, but honestly Pro 2.3 was running pretty good under exact same settings/system on my end, I'm not going to say fast but pretty good, but now upgrading to 2.4 has brought performance back to near unusable speeds - what changed?

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

Perhaps the performance issue you are seeing is related to the original reported issue? I'm not sure. This is where Esri Technical Support can help narrow things down.

Keep us posted on the behavior after you've cleared the display cache, updated the GPU drivers, and toggled the rendering engine.

Thank you,

Scott

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

Ok - so I updated graphics driver and cleared my 9GB (9 GB!) display cache, but through some admittedly "not thorough" testing, I think my main issue was related to DirectX vs OpenGL.  If I switch back to DirectX it totally lags when working over our network share. Local edits were fine with either choice, but when I try to edit over our network w/DirectX selected - I see drawing and performance issues magnified and the whole disappearing features thing happens, switch back to OpenGL and the features at least draw for me albeit slowly.  Thanks for your help and I hope this helps OP.

0 Kudos