ArcGIS Pro 2.0 Tile Package Behavior - Won't do Level 20 and crashes during step 17/20

08-01-2017 10:45 AM
RobertThomas2
Occasional Contributor

Is anyone else having issues with ArcGIS Pro 2.0 and the Tile Package Geoprocessing tool?  I was able to create a level 15 package with no problem, but when I go to Level 20, the tool only processes to Level 15 and during the package creation (not image, that's there at a 1:15k resolution - step 17/20) it now crashes.  Sometimes I'm asked for Send Crash Report and sometimes I'm not.  I have submitted the Crash Report when asked.

I have almost nothing running on this last iteration and have more than enough resources according to Windows Monitors for both CPU and Memory.

Thoughts??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I can't really help you from good experience with vector tiles generated from ArcGIS. I only tried it once on a relatively small dataset.

However, the user who started this OpenLayers Github discussion, suggests ArcGIS will currently only generate tiles up to zoom level 15:

Create example for consuming ArcGIS vector tile package · Issue #6619 · openlayers/openlayers · GitH... 

I have not been able to confirm this yet from ESRI documentation, yet seem to vaguely remember reading something like this before... but it would be good to see some ESRI employee chiming in on this. It may actually be a limitation of the default ESRI styles, and not relevant in case of a custom tiling scheme.

This other Mapnik Github discussion about overzoom might also be an interesting read by the way:

How does overzooming work? · Issue #21 · mapbox/vector-tiles · GitHub 

0 Kudos
RobertThomas2
Occasional Contributor

The GUI and help pop-up says choose a level between 1-20; so that's interesting, since that's what the application is doing. 

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmmm, the latest Vector Tiles blog now talks about - at least display - of vector tiles down to level 23. Of course, that could be just configuration with overzoom, and not generation of tiles down to that level with added detail for the extra zoomlevels, but here it is anyway:

Updated Vector Basemaps and New mapstyler (August 2017) | ArcGIS Blog 

JulieRoebotham
New Contributor III

I was also having a problem in pro with the default topo basemap. i just did a test and switched it to a vector basemap (world street in this case - https://basemaps.arcgis.com/v1/arcgis/rest/services/World_Basemap/VectorTileServer 

and was able to create a .tpk out of all 20 levels.