ArcGIS 2.7.2: How to display “fields view” for excel files?

04-14-2021 01:51 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS 2.7.2: How to display “fields view” for excel files?

I couldn’t figure out how to display “fields view” for excel files. It appears that this option is deemed from excel fields.

Clip_706.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
4 Replies
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

Try running the Excel to Table tool first, then you should be able to alter the fields. 

Excel To Table (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@tigerwoulds is correct.  The fields view is maintained by a geodatabase, hence you need a gdb table

... sort of retired...
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I’m aware of that if the excel table in converted to gdb excel then it should work. What I wanted here is to be able to display the “fields view” while the table in excel format.

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

It's seems the workflow you're using here doesn't work (clearly) but if you select the Excel file in the Contents Pane click the Standalone Table tab->Data you will see Fields in the Design group.  Click Fields.  This will open the Fields View for the Excel file.  The verbiage will say "table or feature class corresponding to this view is read-only."  Here you can update the alias, highlight, modify the number format and so on.  You may want to log the table options->Fields View grayed out item as a bug.  Good luck!