ArcCatalog 10.8.2

01-18-2022 08:23 AM
BrianFoley1
New Contributor II

I just upgraded from ArcCatalog 10.5.1 to 10.8.2.  I am having an issue connecting to a SQL Server database (was having same issue in 10.5.1).  The following message is what I'm getting.ArcCatalog_01.png

I created a Universal Data Link and can successfully connect to the SQL Server database in question, using the same userid/password that I'm using in ArcCatalog.

Any ideas ?

Brian

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have an appropriate Native SQL Server client installed on this machine as you said you were having this same issue in ArcCatalog 10.5.1?

0 Kudos
BrianFoley1
New Contributor II

I have SQL Server 2012 Native Client installed.  The strange thing is I was able to connect up to a month ago.  Then I couldn't connect.  I verified with our DBA that no changes were made to the database.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The minimum version of SQL Server supported by ArcGIS 10.8.2 is Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (64-bit) .

Please upgrade to a supported version of database/client.

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.8.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7—System...

Think Location
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Jayanta:

Can you install more than 1 SQL Server Native Client on a machine?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I believe, we can.

Think Location
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

How do you know which SQL Server Native Client ArcGIS is using if you have multiple Native Client versions installed on your computer?

I ask because I do not see any reference to a SQL Server Native Client in the Path environmental variable like I would see for an Oracle Client where order in the Path environmental variable is important in determining which Oracle Client is being used?

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Right click on the ArcCatalog and "Run as Administrator"  Once ArcCatalog has started, attempt to make a database connection to your SQL Server database.  Does it connect?

0 Kudos
BrianFoley1
New Contributor II

I just tried this on a machine I am running ArcCatalog 10.5.1 on.  Same error as in my original post.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmm...I wonder if it's a System Requirement issue for SQL Server and ArcGIS.  You mentioned you're using SQL Server 2012 but this is not supported at 10.8.x - latest edition supported is SQL Server 2014 SP 3 (64-bit).  ArcGIS 10.6 supported SQL Server 2012 SP3 (64-bit).  Can you create an ODBD connection in ArcCatalog?

0 Kudos