Append multipoint feature to point feature

Jump to solution
05-06-2021 08:07 AM
ZimasaGroom
New Contributor II

Good day

I would like to establish if it is possible to append a multipoint feature to a point feature?

I have a list of project, that are captured as points, and I have a another list of projects that are multipoints, because of the fact that although it is one project, it fall in multiple location "City wide".

I would like to create one feature of all projects, including those that are also citywide. 

Please assist on how I can manage this.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Depends on if he has more than one project store in the multipoint. But it would be no different than having multiple rows for Project Numbers.

when you create a multipoint it creates a number of representative points in the Feature Class.

A multipoint isn't actually storing a unique record for each point it is using a table that is the same as for a single point. It is still a single entity and each multipoint only accesses  a single record.

Here is a link to a help document to help you understand multipoint features. 

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/creating-new-features/creating-a-multipoint-fe...

If he has more than one attribute with project numbers then he can duplicate the points and only keep those with the second or third project number.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am quite familiar with it.

It is also in the Pro documentation Create point and multipoint features—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation if people are using it instead of ArcMap 10.3

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For Append/ Merge, the geometry type should be same, since one feature class (target) cannot have features of multiple geometry types. Points and Multipoints are different geometry types. You need to convert Multipoints to points or vice versa, to do the append operation.

Think Location
ZimasaGroom
New Contributor II

Thank you for the response. 

Let me try and convert to a multipoint for both features. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You will need an attribute to dissolve on to get multipart features

Dissolve (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

if you don't have one, it may be easier to the reverse

Multipart To Singlepart (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Square Peg Round hole.  

Calculate the X,Y of the multipoint features.  Generate Points using those X,Y

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That would return the centroid of each multipoint cluster, not the individual values.  Do you think that is what the individual wants?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Depends on if he has more than one project store in the multipoint. But it would be no different than having multiple rows for Project Numbers.

when you create a multipoint it creates a number of representative points in the Feature Class.

A multipoint isn't actually storing a unique record for each point it is using a table that is the same as for a single point. It is still a single entity and each multipoint only accesses  a single record.

Here is a link to a help document to help you understand multipoint features. 

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/creating-new-features/creating-a-multipoint-fe...

If he has more than one attribute with project numbers then he can duplicate the points and only keep those with the second or third project number.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am quite familiar with it.

It is also in the Pro documentation Create point and multipoint features—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation if people are using it instead of ArcMap 10.3

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos