Aligning vector cells - Arcgis Pro

08-29-2021 01:27 PM
FoekeBoersma
New Contributor II

I am trying to align two vector shapefiles (both vector shapefiles are represented by 100m by 100m cells). 

FoekeBoersma_0-1630267422088.png

In case I want to align all the cells of the two shapefiles, the output will look like:

FoekeBoersma_1-1630267910551.png

I used the "align features"-tool on Arcgis Pro. I used different search distances (e.g. 10, 100, 500, 1000m) but each one yields similar (wrong) results as the output above.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@FoekeBoersma 

Align Features is used for removing gaps between polyline or polygon features. It sounds like you want to Transform features instead

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/transform-a-feature.htm

0 Kudos
FoekeBoersma
New Contributor II

@Scott_Harris 

I tried to apply the Transform Features-method. Your suggestion works quite good on a small scale:

FoekeBoersma_1-1630348169084.png

However, given the magnitude of the data (there are 22551 green/yellow cells and 6866 pink cells) and the different shapes of the pink cells, I question the effectiveness of the Transform Features-method. 

More zoomed out:

FoekeBoersma_0-1630348129976.png

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

yeah it seems the data is skewed in a few different directions. if I had this task, I would ask myself what is more important, lining up the two layers or perhaps using a linking attribute and creating a new layer from a subset of the "good" data

0 Kudos
FoekeBoersma
New Contributor II

Yeah, I suppose you can't have the best of both worlds in this case. Lining up the two layers seems suitable. I am thinking about creating a centroid point for each pink cell, thereafter intersecting that point with the corresponding green/yellow cell so that values can be assigned to the green/yellow cells.

0 Kudos