AGP v 2.8, Locator tool: which values for mandatory fields?

Jump to solution
05-21-2021 05:22 PM
Labels (1)
ThorBoe
New Contributor

Hello!

Essential problem: The "Create Locator" geoprocessing tool has mandatory Field Mapping fields, but my instructions (see below) lack any values for me to provide.  Only a few values inside the Field Alias are intelligible to me, and they don't seem to fit the Field Name.

I include 6 JPG files to allow you to see the values available to me to input Field Aliases.  The field values come from the author of a book and the dataset that came with it, thus, I am not familiar with their meanings.

I am a 100 % new user to anything GIS.  This is unfamiliar territory for me.  My trial-and-error has resulted in only failures, which is very time-consuming and very discouraging to continue attempting to learn.

I have read ESRI Help on "Create Locator" and "Primary Locator Roles".

I am learning by using the 2019 ESRI book, Getting To Know ArcGIS Pro, Second Edition, for v 2.3 and am using the dataset from the book.  But, I am using AGP v. 2.8(And, I have a Student User Acct = no access to ESRI staff to support my questions when I cannot figure out discrepancies between the two versions.)

The book, Ch 7 about Geocoding, page 297-298 instructs me to use the *deprecated* "Create Address Locator" geoprocessing tool.  I I understand v 2.8 uses the "Create Locator" instead = no problem.  But the Create Locator tool has a different interface than shown in the textbook.  Version 2.8 has more mandatory values -- and the data from the book's data set means I do not know their content.  When I choose the "Primary Table" = "streets", and the "Role" is "Street Address", then I must choose additional inputs into Field Mapping > Alias Names which the textbook does not mention let alone instruct.

Most of all, I don't know which values from drop-down lists I must choose for 5 of the 6 *mandatory* Field Aliases:

1.  Left House Number From,
  2.  Left House Number To,
  3.  Left House Number From, and
  4.  Left House Number To.
  5.  Language Code

I am stopped 100 % in Chapter 7 about geocoding.  Trial-and-error has failed me.

Can someone direct me to practical answers?

Sincerely, thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Map the fields as follows. I tried to map as many fields as possible.

JayantaPoddar_0-1621720042092.png

JayantaPoddar_1-1621720104117.png

JayantaPoddar_2-1621720154536.png

JayantaPoddar_4-1621720711287.png

Hopefully, you will be able to create the locator successfully.

Think Location

View solution in original post

ThorBoe
New Contributor

Dear Jayanta Poddar,

Yes, success!   And a fast reply.  THANK YOU!

Ironically (grin!), your solution might have been "too good".  The textbook advances the exercise to a point when I then geocode a prefabricated table of addresses into the map.   I am supposed to get 87 matches, 3 unmatched, and 1 tied address records.  Your solution gave me 89 matches, 1 unmatched, 1 tied.  But, by no means am I complaining.  I give you accolades for giving me a very thorough solution.

Your solution gave me several insights to what the abbreviations of the Field Alias values meant, too.  This might help me with future exercises.  I appreciate all of your help for me.

If I persist for a decade or two learning ArcGIS Pro, I hope I might advance my knowledge to the point when I may be of service to you.  Meanwhile, I will pay it forward to others when I can.

Thank You!  In gratitude,

Thor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Map the fields as follows. I tried to map as many fields as possible.

JayantaPoddar_0-1621720042092.png

JayantaPoddar_1-1621720104117.png

JayantaPoddar_2-1621720154536.png

JayantaPoddar_4-1621720711287.png

Hopefully, you will be able to create the locator successfully.

Think Location
ThorBoe
New Contributor

Dear Jayanta Poddar,

Yes, success!   And a fast reply.  THANK YOU!

Ironically (grin!), your solution might have been "too good".  The textbook advances the exercise to a point when I then geocode a prefabricated table of addresses into the map.   I am supposed to get 87 matches, 3 unmatched, and 1 tied address records.  Your solution gave me 89 matches, 1 unmatched, 1 tied.  But, by no means am I complaining.  I give you accolades for giving me a very thorough solution.

Your solution gave me several insights to what the abbreviations of the Field Alias values meant, too.  This might help me with future exercises.  I appreciate all of your help for me.

If I persist for a decade or two learning ArcGIS Pro, I hope I might advance my knowledge to the point when I may be of service to you.  Meanwhile, I will pay it forward to others when I can.

Thank You!  In gratitude,

Thor

0 Kudos