Select to view content in your preferred language

adding *.tif to map does not display name

Monday
Labels (2)
CordulaGöke
Occasional Contributor

How can I set ArcGIS Pro to display the name of my tif-file properly when adding to a map? I produced a series of tifs, which now get all shown as"Natural_"[start of point file name]".tif" when I drag and drop them into a map. It is not the name I defined (out_raster.save(r"[myPath]\\"+field.name+"_NN.tif"))which is the name that is shown in the explorer or ArcCatalog. I guess the "Natural" comes from the Natural neighbour interpolation, but what is happening here and how can I avoid that? Is there an alias I can set? I have just switched to 3.3.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

There is an ENH-000151250 - "Functionality to have alias name for Raster datasets and Mosaic Datasets stored in a File Geodatabase.'  Only workaround that I'm seeing in the internals is to export the *.tif to a geodatabase raster with the output raster dataset name written exactly as you'd like it.

0 Kudos
CordulaGöke
Occasional Contributor

To clarify, it is not my aim to set an alias,  I want the filename of the .tif shown in the TOC. My question was if ArcGIS Pro is showing the name of an alias for an easy explanation of what ArcGIS might be doing. If Aliases are not possible, I have no idea what to search for to get ArcGIS Pro to display the filename in the TOC.

0 Kudos
CordulaGöke
Occasional Contributor

I found that the wrong name is actually stored as output filename in the process in the tif.xml. The same when I go back in the history in the project. But the files in reality got saved with the name that I defined.  In the tif.xml there is also a <layer> tag, where the wrong name is written behind "definition". Probably the latter is shown as layername. One workaround would be to delete all xmls which is not really optimal. If there is a name to set, it should be possible to do manually.

0 Kudos