Adding .DGN files with a different file extension

Jump to solution
03-15-2022 12:45 PM
Labels (2)
ScottFedak2085
Occasional Contributor

Is there an equivalent to this ArcMap setting in PRO?

We have MicroStation quarter section files (.dgn) that were differentiated sometime in the past by utilizing a custom file extensions that denoted the specific use / application (325.eng, 325.tax, etc.). Therefore the underlying file is actually a .dgn file, but ArcGIS PRO does not recognize it as such due to the non-standard extension.  The setting in the link above allows these files to be read in ArcMap, but I have failed to find an equivalent setting or other workaround in PRO.

Thanks,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So this is BUG-000145066 - Non-standard file extensions for MicroStation DGN files are not read in ArcGIS Pro although the file extensions are supported in ArcGIS Desktop.  It's under review by the Dev Team currently.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I looked at the ArcGIS Pro options and the internals as well and do not see this option in ArcGIS Pro as it is in ArcMap.  I searched ArcGIS Pro Ideas to see if there was an existing idea for this functional equivalency and did not see one either.  My recommendation is to create an ArcGIS Idea for this item so it's gets some traction with the ArcGIS Pro development team.

ScottFedak2085
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. I also just noticed I put the wrong link to the ArcMap setting. Original post has been corrected and proper link here (https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/cad/showing-microstation-dgn-files.htm).

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So this is BUG-000145066 - Non-standard file extensions for MicroStation DGN files are not read in ArcGIS Pro although the file extensions are supported in ArcGIS Desktop.  It's under review by the Dev Team currently.

ScottFedak2085
Occasional Contributor

@Robert_LeClair I'm not aware of a place you can post comments or information to Bugs, but I just wanted to mention that if you:

Click on the Insert tab > Click Import Map > select an existing MXD that references a .dgn file(s) with a non-standard file extension....

Pro will display any non-standard .dgn files that exist in the MXD. You will still not be able to navigate to the actual file in Catalog, so maintaining these files in a Pro project would be impossible, but this would be a partial workaround to at least get the files to display in Pro.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Scott - interesting workflow and makes sense to import a *.mxd into a Pro project.  To your question about posting comments/information to Bugs, you may contact Esri Support Services here and add the information to a bug report via an analyst.  On the "Contact Support Services" page, there is a "Report Bug" link you can use to provide the information to I believe.