Adding a Raster Image with World File

03-18-2024 11:05 AM
Labels (3)
MasonBailey
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I am struggling with a raster image downloaded from a state agency. I have successfully created the raster feature from the png image, but I cannot see it on my map. 

The png came with an associated pgw file, referencing its geographic location with coordinates. That said, ArcGIS Pro will not allow that file to be added to the map. I have tried changing the file type in word, but pgwx is not an option. I have read quite a few community posts concerning this topic, but those usually have the pgw file already added to the program. I cannot get the file to go into the program at all. 

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try Project Options, Raster, and toggle on the world file option

worldfile.png

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MasonBailey
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan,

I toggled that setting on already and it does not seem to change anything. 

0 Kudos
MasonBailey
New Contributor II

All,

Update. I have managed to project the raster from an unknown coordinate system to a projected coordinate system. This created a tif file for the raster and a tfw world file. As I've seen in other blog posts, the generated tfw file has the wrong coordinates, making the raster plot in the wrong location. Is there any way I can edit these coordinates without compromising the file type? It seems my desktop wants to open the file in notepad or word, and when saved, the file is no longer a tfw extension. 

ALSO!!!! When I attempt to drag-in/ add the generated tfw file for the raster (with the wrong coordinates) ArcGIS Pro gives me an error message that the file type is not supported and an "empty path is specified."

0 Kudos