Adding a CSV Table in ArcPro

06-06-2022 05:38 AM
Labels (2)
KrishnaTiwari
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm trying to view a CSV table in ArcPro and receive the following error message:

Error: A column was specified that does not exist

Does this mean the table needs to be re-formatted or edited in some way?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Do all column have an header?  Sometime you can also have problem with divider in number between English "." and metric ",".  If you can show a sample of you data.

0 Kudos
KrishnaTiwari
New Contributor III

Hello MarcelSt-Germain,

Thanks for the information. The csv sheet just needed to be properly formatted. I appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Yes, open the .csv in Excel and make sure all columns have headers.  And headers that are appropriate.

Best practice for .csv headers are with no special characters other than Underscore  "_" 

And they should not start with numbers. Though with newer version they can be added. I have a .csv provided to me for Arc Flash data that contains spaces and the @ symbol.  However, I immediately load them into an appropriate table 

0 Kudos
KrishnaTiwari
New Contributor III

Hello RobertBorchet,

Thank you for the help. I just needed to reformat the csv sheet. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I have had some minor horror stories with spreadsheets and files that people send to me in the attempts to call it legitimate data. 

Column headers that are sentences

Merges cells

Fancy Excel formatting

I tell people plain and simple with zero formatting. I had one guy, an intern, I simply sent it back to him over and over telling him what was wrong. Finally his supervisor called to ask why I was giving his intern a hard time.  I showed him what was going on.  Next version was what I asked for the first time.

Seems  a lot of non GIS or Engineer types cannot not make a spreadsheet with lots of formatting. 

"But this is the way I want it to look in the GIS"

0 Kudos