addind excel in arcgis

Jump to solution
11-14-2021 02:31 PM
raoufbouamra
New Contributor

when i add excel point i can't specify X OR y, any solution?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
LongDinh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @raoufbouamra,

You should convert your xlsx file to a csv before adding it to ArcGIS Pro. You can use the this guide to create points from a table.

ArcGIS uses some keywords to automatically detect spatial field names (e.g. X, Y, Latitude etc...) in CSV, TEXT and GPX files. They can be found here.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you intend to use excel, you should read the guiding principles to be aware of its limitations.

Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Also, in addition to the above, make sure you explicitly format your coordinate columns as double/float and ensure there are no blank cells in the sheet.

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LongDinh
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @raoufbouamra,

You should convert your xlsx file to a csv before adding it to ArcGIS Pro. You can use the this guide to create points from a table.

ArcGIS uses some keywords to automatically detect spatial field names (e.g. X, Y, Latitude etc...) in CSV, TEXT and GPX files. They can be found here.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
raoufbouamra
New Contributor

thanks you so much my friend you saved me , i hope you will find only hapinessse in your life. take care

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you intend to use excel, you should read the guiding principles to be aware of its limitations.

Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Also, in addition to the above, make sure you explicitly format your coordinate columns as double/float and ensure there are no blank cells in the sheet.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos