add table to polygon layer

Jump to solution
01-17-2020 06:47 AM
TaleSkrove
New Contributor II

Hi,

I've got a table with 3000 registrations that I want to join to a layer with 100 polygons so that the output is 3000 polygons (30 separate registrations per polygon). The table contains a column with unique polygon numbers. Can't figure this one out, but it seems like something that should be quite easy in ArcGIS Pro. Hope someone can help! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyKoenig
Occasional Contributor

If you have an Advanced license, you can use the Join Features tool and select "Join one to many" in the join operation section. 

Otherwise, try the Make Query Table tool. Be sure to include the shape field from your polygon layer in the "Fields" section to create a feature layer output instead of a table. 

The result of the Make Query Table tool will be temporary, so export a copy of it before exiting your project to save it permanently.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KellyKoenig
Occasional Contributor

If you have an Advanced license, you can use the Join Features tool and select "Join one to many" in the join operation section. 

Otherwise, try the Make Query Table tool. Be sure to include the shape field from your polygon layer in the "Fields" section to create a feature layer output instead of a table. 

The result of the Make Query Table tool will be temporary, so export a copy of it before exiting your project to save it permanently.

0 Kudos
TaleSkrove
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. The “Make Query Table” tool seems to be the correct one, but I end up with the table of 3000 rows adding to each of the 100 polygons in the shape layer, instead of just the 30 with the same key. Any further suggestions?

0 Kudos
TaleSkrove
New Contributor II

Update: after a system update I got access to the Join Feature tool and it worked perfectly! Thank you for your help.