Select to view content in your preferred language

Ability to Manage Overlapping Grid Labels in a Layout?

Jump to solution
07-20-2022 08:52 AM
TheBobScript
New Contributor III

Whether I create grid labels manually or through code (C#), I am unable to manage which labels display when they encounter other overlapping/conflicting labels.  The labeling engine for grid entries tends to prioritize the top-most grid.  I don't see a place where I can weight or change that priority.

For my situation, I'd prefer to have all labels display regardless of whether they overlap other labels or not.  That way I can convert to graphics and manage those individual conflicts instead.

Here's a visual example.  The bottom grid entry (GEOGRAPHIC TICKS, LABELS . . . ) has labels that display (see 40' and 35' text in the red boxes) when that grid is the sole grid that is visible (Image A).  But when I turn on the second grid (1000M), those labels conflict and subsequently take priority;  the bottom-most grid's labels no longer appear (Image B):

Image A:firstGrid.jpg

Image B:secondGrid.jpg  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, 

This is expected. Unlike labeling in the map, there is no labeling "engine" when it comes to grid labels. Each grid draws independently. When you have more than one grid drawing for a map frame you will need to offset one of the grid's labels with a different value than the labels of the other grid to avoid overlap.

The label offset value is set in the Component tab of the grid element pane.

Screenshot.PNG

Additional information about working with grid components, such as the labels, can be found under the help topic for each grid type.

GraticulesMeasured Grids, MGRS grids, Reference grids and Custom grids.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, 

This is expected. Unlike labeling in the map, there is no labeling "engine" when it comes to grid labels. Each grid draws independently. When you have more than one grid drawing for a map frame you will need to offset one of the grid's labels with a different value than the labels of the other grid to avoid overlap.

The label offset value is set in the Component tab of the grid element pane.

Screenshot.PNG

Additional information about working with grid components, such as the labels, can be found under the help topic for each grid type.

GraticulesMeasured Grids, MGRS grids, Reference grids and Custom grids.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos
TheBobScript
New Contributor III

Hi Tom,

Thanks for confirming that this behavior is expected. 

When it comes to utilizing the offset, that's something we are using, but we have (externally imposed) layout standards where overlapping labels happen from time to time.  It looks like our best solution will be to settle on the extent/scale and then convert the labels to graphics when we have conflicting labels.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos