Select to view content in your preferred language

3D Scene Animation in ArcGIS Pro Slower on Higher Hardware Nvidia Quadro P600 vs P1000

07-30-2020 10:59 PM
GrahamWood2
New Contributor III

I've been asked to test a new Laptop for our organisation and the GIS suitability based on my recommendation. Strangely when testing using ArcGIS pro 3D Animations the better GPU is significantly slower than the P600.

The Existing machine had a the following specs.

Intel i7 8850H- 32GB ram - 500GB SSSD - 4GB Quadro P600 

the New machine will have the following specs

Intel i7 8850H- 32GB ram - 500GB SSSD - 4GB Quadro P1000 

On Paper these machines should be the same or a little better towards the new machine.

When Exporting the exact same animation from pro with all data(13GB SLPK file of photogrammetric mesh and Ground disabled) stored on the c: drive consistently the old machine scores a faster animation output.

Export times P600 vs P1000:

Texture compression on 4 minutes vs 11 minutes

Texture compression off 25 minutes vs 34 minutes

Frame from Existing machine(Compression On)

Frame From New Machine(Compression On)

So i did some further research the video files were different in size so I ran a comparison of the videos in FFMPEG using xor filter showing frame by frame there is differences:

Task Manager Old Machine Quadro P600 (No Texture compression export time 25mins)

Task manager New Machine Quadro P1000(No Texture compression Export time 35 mins)(note the spikes in GPU copy here that are missing on the P600)

I have:

• Ensured that ArcGIS Pro is both on 2.6 and running independently
  • Made sure both are on the newest Quadro drivers(451.77)
  • Made sure using the same export profile 1080p
  • Looked at the NVIDIA Settings App and they have the same base profile settings. No anti aliasing or anisotropic filtering 
  • Looked at the ArcPro Display settings(all the same)
  • Looked at the 3D scene Layer -- Properties -- Display -- texture Compression (All the Same.. and the same issue regardless of off or on.)
  • Tried running repetitively in case there was a cache issues.
  • Looked at the power profiles.

Interestingly as a side note we have a high-end machine that we use for processing with dual Xeon and quadro RTX 5000 and I've been having issues with animations at 1080p on this machine. I'll test this theory here too

My Question is.. Is pro being cleaver and taking as much resources it can to create higher precision outputs with more cores and ram on a GPU?

I'm Absolutely Baffled as to why stronger hardware does not equal faster animation outputs.

This was meant to be a quick yep its faster(by a little bit make it the new cooperate standard GIS Machine)

Cheers

0 Replies