3D extrusion Issue - ArcGIS Pro

07-12-2017 01:51 AM
GThomson
New Contributor III

Hi there, 

I'm trying to create a simple 3D scene in ArcGIS Pro 2.0 using the "Features from CityEngine Rules" tool and a cga rule file I created in CityEngine. Whilst it mostly works (the colours, heights and roofs are all correct), the features created don't start at ground level. As shown in the image below, the 3D features are extruded based on the red 2D features underneath. Despite the fact the 2D features are at ground level, the 3D features aren't and you can see there are gaps between the base of the feature and ground level.

The CityEngine code for extrusion is as follows:

extrude(world.up.flatTop,Height)

Where "Height" is the attribute from the shapefile from which the extrusion height is taken.

I have also ensured in the layer properties that the elevation is set to "on the ground". however this doesn't appear to have any impact.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gavin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KlemensPürmayr
New Contributor II

Hello Gavin,

I suppose that the ground Level ist not a flat area. Normally for the ground height of the building the mean z-value of the building is used. That's why the building is partly above the ground.

Lingg Andreas created a routine in '3D-Gebäudevisualisierung in ArcGIS Pro' available via https://www.geoinformation.hsr.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/geoinformation.hsr.ch/pdf/veranstaltungen/ca... so the minimal z-value of the building is used as minimal height of the building.

best regards, klemens

GThomson
New Contributor III

Thanks for that,, I must admit though whilst I understand the concept, I don't quite know what I add into my rule file to achieve this effect...? How do you tell the building to sit at the minimum z value?

I know it probably says in the article, however my German isnt up to much...

0 Kudos
KlemensPürmayr
New Contributor II

hello Gavin,

the height in the shapefile is based on the max. level of the building basis? otherwise the building shouldn't 'fly'.

try to minimize the z-value in the shape file.

thanks, klemens

0 Kudos