2.4.0 cannot open aprx made by another person

08-04-2019 07:03 PM
AndrewBarker3
New Contributor III

A colleague made an aprx file and saved it to a network drive, I asked if I could look it over.  They sent me a link, I open the aprx and receive the following error "Failed to Open Project: Opening the select ArcGIS project failed. This project was saved using a newer version of ArcGIS Pro : ."

This isn't true though, we are both running 2.4.0 - both of our installs tell us our versions are up to date.  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Is your colleague still able to open the project with no issues, or do they also get the same message?

Is it possible to share the aprx with us? (You could send it by email to kkramer@esri.com - and if it is too large to email, let me know and I can set up an ftp transfer site...)

Cheers

0 Kudos
AndrewBarker3
New Contributor III

Hi Kory,

Well we might have uncovered something.  The project folder is very much on lock down to me.  I think I may only have viewer permissions.  That may well be the cause of Pro's unrest.  Still, the error message from Pro isn't appropriate.  

In the morning I'll get better access to the aprx and attempt to email it to you and see whether it's anything more sinister.  My colleague was certainly able to open it again after I'd failed to.    

0 Kudos
AndrewBarker3
New Contributor III

Kory,

It was indeed a permissions issue that denied access.  When I got a copy of the aprx and gdb in a more accessible location the aprx loaded as expected.

Still, it'd be good to change the error message that Pro is throwing about a software version issue.  

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks for the follow up, Andrew.  Are you able to share specifics about what permissions settings/limitations lead to this?  I denied my user Write access to the folder where the project was stored and I'm able to open the project and it correctly opens in a [Read Only] state.

I then denied all permissions for my user...

And in Windows I'm not able to open the top folder, so in Pro when I try to open the project, it can't be found.

The situation you present is interesting, and it would definitely be good for us to improve the error message so that it is correct - it would be helpful if you're able to provide me some more clues as to what permission settings lead to it.  I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
AndrewBarker3
New Contributor III

Hi Kory,

I think but can't be certain as there are a number of security groups that apply to that folder but the most likely one that I'm in only has a tick against 'Allow: List folder contents'.  No other ticks anywhere else.  

0 Kudos