Select to view content in your preferred language

12-digit code in ArcGIS License Manager service.txt file

Jump to solution
02-11-2020 11:47 PM
MarketaPecenova
Esri Contributor

Hello,

I would like to know what the 12-digit code represents in my service.txt file of the License Manager. I am using my Portal for ArcGIS as a licensing portal for my ArcGIS Pro.

I noticed that in the official documentation the first line should be like:

SERVER this_host ANY 27004

But when I open my service.txt file, I see something like that (I changed the number as I don’t know if it’s of any significance):

SERVER this_host A12345678BC9 27004

As I understand, it has something to do with using your Portal as a licencing portal for ArcGIS Pro, but I would like to know what exactly.

Thanks

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Marketa,

When you request for a Named User license file (.lic) from MyEsri, you are required to provide a Mac Address of the machine you installed the ArcGIS License Manager on.  The license file can only be authorized on that machine.  Once authorize, the Mac address is added to the Server line in the service.txt file.  You cannot manually change the Mac Address in either the .lic or the service.txt file.  Doing so will make the licenses invalid.  

In your case, you changed the Mac Address to ANY.  If you look at the license manager log file, you will likely see something like "(ARCGIS) Invalid license key (inconsistent authentication code)".  If you look at the Availability folder in the license manager, it appears to be valid and available but this is not the case.  This is misleading and a bug we will need to address.  

FYI.  If you see a license file with ANY in the Server line, it is an open license file that can be applied on any machine.  In the case of a Named User license, this will only be available for internal users.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Marketa,

When you request for a Named User license file (.lic) from MyEsri, you are required to provide a Mac Address of the machine you installed the ArcGIS License Manager on.  The license file can only be authorized on that machine.  Once authorize, the Mac address is added to the Server line in the service.txt file.  You cannot manually change the Mac Address in either the .lic or the service.txt file.  Doing so will make the licenses invalid.  

In your case, you changed the Mac Address to ANY.  If you look at the license manager log file, you will likely see something like "(ARCGIS) Invalid license key (inconsistent authentication code)".  If you look at the Availability folder in the license manager, it appears to be valid and available but this is not the case.  This is misleading and a bug we will need to address.  

FYI.  If you see a license file with ANY in the Server line, it is an open license file that can be applied on any machine.  In the case of a Named User license, this will only be available for internal users.  

0 Kudos
MarketaPecenova
Esri Contributor

Hello Amnoy,

Thank you for your reply! It was most helpful and appreciated it very much. 

0 Kudos