Select to view content in your preferred language

When Multiple GP Tools Open, allow "on the fly" renaming of tools

Sunday
Labels (1)
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

In what is now a rare moment when I find myself using ArcGIS Pro it because I'm doing something....really complicated. In this case I have a workflow where I need 2-3 GP Tools open at once so I can perform a repeatable workflow. Yes, I could probably make a model or a python but I don't want @KoryKramer to think I've retired! 

Existing behavior: I have 3 tools open, and I bang through them 1-2-3, and I just cycle each tool and change one thing in each of them. Problem is, I can't remember which "Calculate Field" tool I just changed something in and which is the next one I need to change. Sure, they're in order, but what if I had 5 open and I can't count? What if I'm not always going in the same 1-2-3 order? I have to open each tool to figure out what it's doing.....

ThomasColson_0-1719157391496.png

Sure would be handy if I could see this:

ThomasColson_1-1719157500505.png

By TEMPORARILY renaming the tool at runtime. Coincidentally I could see this being handy when folks are trying to document workflows with GP history: instead of 10 instances of "Calculate Field", the user could control the display name of each tool execution

ThomasColson_2-1719157774159.png