When editing subtype field, account for the fact that the field domain value is now invalid

07-17-2022 02:30 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Scenario:

I have a subtype on the ASSET_CLASS field in a table. 

Bud_0-1658092277588.png

When ASSET_CLASS = 3, then the ACTIVITY field uses an ACTIVITY_ROAD domain.

If I were to change the ASSET_CLASS value from ROADS to WATERCOURSE:

Bud_2-1658092382670.png

Then the ACTIVITY's value would stay the same (although it now shows the domain's code (RWID) instead of the domain description (ROAD WIDENING)...but I suppose that's to be expected).

It seems like ArcGIS should do something to account for the fact that the ACTIVITY is no longer valid for the ASSET_CLASS subtype. In other words, RWID (ROAD WIDENING) isn't a valid ACTIVITY for WATERCOURSE. WATERCOURSE has it's own domain: ACTIVITY_WATERCOURSE.

Note: I did get the message/option below. But choosing "Yes" had no effect on the ACTIVITY field, since the ACTIVITY field doesn't have a default value (and we don't want it to have a default value):

Bud_1-1658092360985.png

Could Pro be enhanced to account for the invalid domain value in that scenario?

To be honest, I'm not sure what the mechanism should be/how it should be handled. Maybe the ACTIVITY field should get automatically nulled-out? Or a warning message? Thoughts anyone?

6 Comments
Scott_Harris
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hi @Bud 

The Attributes Pane will show a warning like this in that scenario:

Scott_Harris_0-1658427802148.png

And prevent the edit if Enforce Validation is checked on in Editing settings: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/change-general-editing-tool-settings.htm

If you are editing in the Attributes Table it also pops up a similar warning once you attempt to move to the next record (to commit the edit):

Scott_Harris_0-1658428173530.png

-Scott

Bud
by

@Scott_Harris Thanks.

The Attributes Pane will show a warning

We don't really use the Attributes Pane very often, only the Attribute Window. So I didn't notice that  warning message.

And prevent the edit if Enforce Validation is checked on in Editing settings.

I checked and that setting is enabled.

If you are editing in the Attributes Table it also pops up a similar warning once you attempt to move to the next record (to commit the edit).

I'm not seeing that behavior in a non-spatial table in Pro 2.6.8 (Oracle 18c EGDB). Do you know if it was added in a subsequent release of Pro?

Scott_Harris

@Bud 2.6 was the release that validation was added for feature classes. 2.8 for standalone tables.

If you are working with a feature class, perhaps you didn't attempt to commit the edit yet by hitting enter or navigating away from the active record?

Bud
by

@Bud 2.6 was the release that validation was added for feature classes. 2.8 for standalone tables.

If you are working with a feature class, perhaps you didn't attempt to commit the edit yet by hitting enter or navigating away from the active record?

It's weird, I don't get the warning message in the Attribute Table in 2.6.8, not even when working in a feature class (and saving/committing the record).

I tried with the FC versioned (with base) and non-versioned. No difference.

Bud_1-1658513698184.png

I could show you in a WebEx session in a meeting, if that would save you some time. Feel free to DM me. Eastern time.

Scott_Harris

@Bud 2.8 is the first version where I see the error dialog we are talking about being generated from the Attribute Table. So the Map Exploration team must have added it then.

Scott_Harris
Status changed to: Already Offered

The Attributes Pane will show a warning like this in that scenario:

Scott_Harris_0-1658518814020.png

And prevent the edit if Enforce Validation is checked on in Editing settings: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/change-general-editing-tool-settings.htm

If you are editing in the Attribute Table (starting in 2.8) it also pops up a similar warning once you attempt to move to the next record (to commit the edit):

Scott_Harris_1-1658518814158.png